Research Project Manager
Alkahest is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company targeting neurodegenerative and age-related diseases with transformative therapies derived from a deep understanding of the plasma proteome in aging and disease.
We are looking for an innovative, highly motivated Research Project Manager with a strong scientific background in preclinical drug discovery research and project management. The ideal candidate has a proven ability to manage internal research and drug discovery project teams and drive results forward. Responsibilities include the use of best practices for planning and tracking early to late-stage research projects, setting priorities, facilitating science-based and business/ portfolio-oriented discussions in research teams, and managing the team to deliver results. The candidate will be a team player with well-developed skills for gaining the cooperation of others and ensuring effective communication and collaboration among team members in a matrix team environment.
The Research Project Manager is responsible for overall coordination and planning for projects of large scope, budget and strategic importance. This typically includes research and drug discovery projects in the exploratory or therapeutic stage through preparation for regulatory filing. The Research Project Manager will work with the scientific program leader to oversee, organize and drive research and early development programs to ensure that all goals and milestones are met per agreed upon project specifications. Effective coordination of numerous disciplines is required for successful execution. In this role, the Research Project Manager will work with the team to develop the project plan, project budget, execution of the project plan to timelines and budget, and ensure appropriate and timely decision-making and progress. The Research Project Manager sets agendas and chairs recurring project team meetings, and ensures effective cross functional communications are achieved with all team members. Previous drug discovery and global project team experience is required.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Coordinates the design and execution of cross-functional project plans for exploratory drug discovery and early clinical development of biologics and small molecule therapeutics. This will involve the mapping of preclinical, early development and all other relevant team information, with a variety of project management tools
- Maintains frequent communication with the cross-functional project team members and key internal stakeholders so that all parties are aware of current project status, issues, contingencies, and milestones
- Prepares summary information on program progress, timeline updates and risk assessment for periodic presentations to Alkahest governance committees
- With team members and in accordance with corporate objectives, facilitates the setting of program strategy and objectives, key milestones and scope
- Collaborates with Therapeutic Research Lead to facilitate team meetings and ensure that clear actions and decisions are documented, communicated and committed to, enabling timeline achievement
- Builds strong working relationships across departments, with key stakeholders, and Senior Management to ensure transparency and to facilitate communication
- Executes project management function to align with biopharma industry project management best practices
- Implements project management tools and systems that scale with growth and complexity of function and company
- Identifies and defines inter-dependencies among functions and how such inter-dependencies will affect decisions downstream for the programs
- Identifies misalignment issues between functional groups and assertively drive issues to resolution. Proactively identify risks, and then develops and implements risk mitigation and contingency plans
- Develops and coordinates resource and budget planning across functions to assure adequate resources are applied to the project and any changes are highlighted appropriately
- Supports research teams to drive excellence and accountability, governance expectations and preparation for key decision point discussions with focus on cross-functional input
- For projects that are being jointly developed, works closely with a key strategic alliance partner
- Supports Translational Sciences group with biomarker sample operations and logistics, and other corporate initiatives, as needed
- B.S in Biology, Chemistry or other related scientific area
- At least 4 years of formal Pharmaceutical/Drug Discovery program management experience
- Must be an innovative, driven, highly organized self-starter with the ability to handle multiple activities and comfortable interacting with all levels of management within the company
- Demonstrated in depth knowledge of the early drug development process, preferably from early research through clinical development
- Extensive intermediate to advanced computer skills (Power Point, Excel, Word, Smartsheet, and SharePoint)
- Proven ability to develop detailed integrated project plans
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent interpersonal skills including people management, time management, organizational, and prioritization skills
- Proven ability in negotiating/influencing and collaboration skills
- Willing and able to learn new skills to meet changing needs of the organization
Apply today. We'd love to meet you!