JOB DESCRIPTION OVERVIEW
Organization and team background
The Alzheimer's Disease Data Initiative (ADDI) is a non-profit medical research organization supported by Gates Ventures and a coalition of partners. The mission is to accelerate the accessibility and utility of data to advance scientific breakthroughs within Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and related dementias research. To this end, ADDI’s focus is to increase interoperability of existing data platforms globally, increase sharing of dementia-related data from academic and industry sources, and empower scientists to find, search, combine, and analyze data that could lead to new discoveries in dementia research. Foundational to achieving these aims is the ADDI Alzheimer's Disease Workbench (AD Workbench), a cloud-based data sharing and analytics platform that empowers researchers around the world to share data, resources, and tools to achieve the ADDI vision of eliminating Alzheimer’s disease. AD Workbench is intended to remove the barriers of siloed, non-interoperable data, establish an environment to enable digital innovation at scale for AD and to deliver on ADDI program objectives more effectively and collaboratively.
Gates Ventures is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We are looking for a bioinformatics data scientist to join the ADDI technical team. Specifically, we are working towards expanding data science analytics tools and services suite for ADWB. Currently we are working on multiple projects as varied as data curation and harmonization framework, pooled data analysis, synthetic data generation across different data types, developing ML models for advanced data analysis etc. to name a few. The individual would be involved in hands on development for some of the projects. The other key responsibilities include leading data science projects, evaluating state of art bioinformatics tools, summarizing results, presenting to broader technical & scientific advisory group. The position also requires ability to manage multiple scopes of work and working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams both internal and external to the organization. Experience working in the field of dementia or neuroscience not required but would be plus.
This position will report to the Director, Data Science and will work closely with Sr. Technical Architect, ADDI.
The individual taking on this important role will be responsible for a wide range of activities including but not limited to:
- Design and develop data science tools and services for ADWB analytics suite. This includes ideation and hands-on involvement in various data science projects. E.g. data harmonization & standardization, algorithm development for on-demand synthetic data generation, data curation etc.
- Create and validate downstream bioinformatics workflows.
- Manage data science technical workstreams, oversee progress and be accountable to deliver on project goals.
- Prepare scientific presentations for partner groups and conferences and comfortable leading discussions during scientific work meetings.
- Summarize results in timely manner and present findings to scientific advisory committee.
- Be up to date with current trends in the field of bioinformatics and evaluate state of the art tools and services and provide assessment and recommend additions to ADWB.
- Work closely with ADWB product owner and participate in discussions to convert functional needs into technical data science deliverables.
- Write technical reports and review grant proposals.
- Provide support and training to ADWB user community as required.
- Masters or PhD. degree (in Bioinformatics, data science, computer science, mathematics or STEM major).
- 3+ years of experience as bioinformatics scientist.
- Ability to travel up to 30% domestically and internationally.
- US candidates only
- Broad knowledge and hands-on experience on deep learning and ML modelling.
- Experience in developing bioinformatics analysis workflows across different types of data (e.g. clinical, cohort, omics).
- Proficiency in R or python programming.
- Knowledge of azure cloud computing, writing containerized software, R shiny apps.
- Ability to work on competing priorities in agile work setting.
- Ability to communicate technical problems clearly to non-technical teams.
- Exceptional oral, facilitation, and written communication skills; listening skills; and empathy.
- Commitment to the organization’s core values, mission, and programs with an approach that is consistent with ADDI’s guiding principles and holding self to the highest ethical standards
For questions or to apply, email us with an updated resume, the names and email addresses for two references, and the role(s) you are applying for. In the subject line, please use the following format: [First Name] [Last Name] – [Role Title]. Within your email, please note the source from which you saw our job posting.