IT Systems Administrator
At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Respect, Science, Courage and Collaboration and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating.
Lyell is looking for a System Administrator to join our growing Information Technology (IT) team. The team is dedicated to providing exceptional IT services to Lyell, a rapidly growing biotech company located in South San Francisco, California and Seattle Washington. Lyell has a very technology rich / friendly culture and is an eager adopter of SaaS and Cloud solutions.
- Day to day operations and maintenance of data center and network systems, including a small VMware vSphere cluster w/ iSCSI storage, VMware Horizon View, and a Cisco Meraki, and Palo Alto Networks
- Monitoring and responding to events related to systems performance and outages (tools include Veeam ONE, Meraki dashboard, among others)
- Monitoring backup status and health, and troubleshooting any exceptions to daily backups.
- Assisting IT management with project planning and execution of IT projects. Typical projects include adoption of new software solutions (SaaS and on-premises), and implementation of new equipment (i.e. additional switching and WAPs to support the addition of more office space)
- Configuring on-site servers and services, as well as SaaS applications and services. This would include things like Windows Server 2016/2019 (and associated roles/features), Google gSuite (formerly Google Apps), various Office 365 components, MDM, and Okta SSO, among others.
- Providing guidance and administrative support to support staff focused on end-user computing systems, as well as handling escalations when required
- Maintaining up-to-date documentation on project status and systems configuration
- Support lab infrastructure including software and attached equipment.
- Administrative experience with VMware vSphere and Horizon View
- Administrative experience with Windows Server
- Administrative experience with MDM software
- Network administration experience and a strong understanding of fundamentals (routing and switching, firewall rules, etc.)
- Experience managing and monitoring system backups
- Strong communication skills
- The ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Work Space One
- Mac OSX/ Windows OS
- Cisco Meraki / Palo Alto Networks
- Android / IOS
- End-user technical support
- Managing small to medium sized projects
- Degree in Computer Science, Math, Physics, or biological sciences is preferred, but not required
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.