Senior Research Associate, Stemness
At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Science, Respect, Courage and Collaboration and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating.
We are seeking a hardworking, enthusiastic Senior Research Associate in the T cell Stemness Group at Lyell. The ideal candidate will set up in vitro cell-based functional assays to measure CAR T and TCR cell cytotoxicity, cytokine release, and proliferation as well as gain knowledge of in vivo tumor models. Experience with flow cytometry is required. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to carry out independent and cross-functional teamwork, demonstrate creativity and apply critical thinking, help develop new SOPs, and generate reproducible, high quality data to inform development of Lyell’s next generation solid tumor CAR T and TCR cell therapy platforms.
- T cell culture - counting, activation, expansion, and cryopreservation
- T cell phenotypic and functional assessment using flow cytometry, in vitro co-culture assays
- Collaborate with Scientists and other RAs to design, execute and troubleshoot experiments
- Highly organized, detailed documentation of experimental procedures. (Previous experience with electronic lab notebooks (ELN) is a plus!)
- Generate, analyze, interpret, and present data to team
- Mammalian cell culture, preferably experience culturing primary human immune cells, T cells
- Cell-based in vitro assays
- Experience with multi-parameter flow cytometry, molecular biology (PCR, western blot, DNA/RNA isolation, quantification)
- Experience engineering T cells (CAR T or TCR T cells) strongly preferred
- Experience with gene-modification of immune cells using lentiviral, retroviral, CRISPR-Cas9, or other techniques preferred
- Experience with cytokine analysis (ELISA, MSD) and Incucyte cell growth assays preferred.
- BA/BS or Masters in immunology, cell biology or a related field. 2+ years relevant laboratory experience. 5+ years is preferred
- Strong communication and data presentation skills required
- Proficiency in data analysis using Prism, Excel or equivalents required
- Proficiency using office software such as Word, Powerpoint or equivalents to generate reports and presentations required
- Experience using FlowJo for analysis and interpretation of flow cytometry data is strongly preferred
- Ability to thrive within and contribute to a collaborative, supportive, fast-paced team environment
- Ability to stand or sit for extended periods of time may be necessary
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.