An exciting opportunity for a Research Microbiologist in the Microbial Optimization group in Crop Protection Discovery located in Indianapolis, IN. We are looking for a technical leader who will serve as an interdisciplinary microbiology subject matter expert to enable the discovery and development of new and existing Natural Products with agricultural applications.
- Provide laboratory expertise related to mutagenesis, microbial screening, and scale up of microbial cultures from micro-scale to multiple liter scales.
- Develop and execute research strategies for media development, seed train protocols, and process optimization at small scale designed to deliver strains to manufacturing.
- Define screening and selection criteria across multiple microbial screening platforms.
- Lead identification and implementation of emerging technology to improve microbial fermentation performance and accelerate strain development goals.
- Serve as microbiology subject matter expert on strain development programs for diverse fermentation-based products.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with scientists from fermentation research, process development, systems biology, metabolic engineering, and manufacturing.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other scientists.
- Deliver internal and external presentations and publications.
- Ph.D. in Microbiology (or related field) with a minimum of 2 years of relevant research experience in an industrial microbiology or small-scale fermentation group, or
- M.S. in Microbiology (or related field) with a minimum of 10 years of relevant experience in an industrial microbiology or small-scale fermentation group, or
- B.S. in Microbiology (or related field) with a minimum of 15 years of relevant experience in an industrial microbiology or small-scale fermentation group.
- Proven research experience with microbiological systems at small scale such as microtiter plates and/or shake flasks.
- Experience in advancement of microbial processes from small-scale development to larger scale bioreactors.
- Preferred candidates have experience with diverse filamentous microorganisms.
- Preferred candidates have experience with optimization of secondary metabolite production.
- A track record of highly effective communication, interpersonal skills, and teamwork is essential.
- Ideal candidate must have a track record of self-development and personal leadership.