Utilities SME - Electrical
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL's therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
The Utilities Engineer is responsible for oversight of operational and troubleshooting support for the electrical system distribution with strict adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and cGMP's in a Pharmaceutical Manufacturing facility. Experience with other Plant Utilities (Boilers, Chillers, Cooling Towers, etc.) is a plus.
The Engineer will support operations, maintenance, manufacturing, automation, quality assurance, EHS, reliability engineering, project delivery and global engineering. This individual will work closely with a cross-functional team to meet the needs of the groups they support.
Main Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Responsible for providing engineering expertise to support the design, installation, commissioning, validation and operation of the plant electrical systems.
- Assist with creating plans, perform equipment selection, load calculations and power system studies. Periodically review and update the Short Circuit Coordination Study.
- Responsible to support cGMP facility design and improvement projects. Play an essential leadership role in the operation and troubleshooting of the utility systems.
- Review and make recommendations to management for utility equipment replacement as part of the life cycle improvement process and continuous improvement initiative planning.
- Perform regular field walk-through tours, inspections and initiate any procedures necessary to resolve problems.
- Support the planning and execution of activities by working in cross-functional teams. Assist in driving projects to completion to meet timeline and budget objectives.
- Continuously stay current with assigned SOPs and keep an up to date training file ensuring compliance with all applicable Standard Operating Procedures.
- Key member of the Energy and Sustainability initiatives. Drive development of the WAGES program. Collect, analyze and report data for use by the Utilities and Operations department.
- Responsible for change controls, CAPAs, risk assessments, Safety and Regulatory Agency Audits.
- Provide guidance for support personnel and support development of PM programs.
- Prepares User Requirements Specifications (URS), Risk Assessments, Safety Assessments associated with the electrical system.
- Participate in validation activities including review of IQ/OQ protocols, executions and summary reports.
- Participate in the development and implementation of procedural Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), technical specifications (Design/Functional/System) and updating electrical drawings.
- Support small-scale capital projects, creating scope of work, justification, cost estimates and implementing purchase order requisitions.
- Provide support to the Capital Projects Team assisting with equipment submittal reviews, MEP specification and drawing reviews, FAT's/SAT's, turnover package reviews ensuring that the documentation is accurate and complete and meets specifications.
- Coordinate with site departments to schedule utility system shutdowns, tie-ins and system startup.
- Assist with developing predictive and preventative maintenance program for utility systems.
- Demonstrate continuous improvement with respect to increasing job knowledge and proficiency related to engineering in the biopharmaceutical industry, as well as technical understanding/problem solving capability.
- Complies with requirements from CSL Behring's Safety Program, including Health and Safety mandates and OSHA requirements.
- Completes any other duties/responsibilities assigned by senior management.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering with 5+ years of experience in an engineering role in support of a large industrial, pharmaceutical, biotechnology or FDA regulated facility.
- Experience working in a Union environment is preferred but not required.
- Experience with architectural, MEP and P&ID drawings preferably in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Must be able to read and interpret electrical and control drawings.
- Extensive knowledge of electrical design standards, IEEE, NFPA requirements and other codes related to design, safety and maintenance.
- Must have design and working experience with electrical power distribution at 115kV, 15kV and 480v.
- Must have Building design and commissioning experience.
- Must have design and working experience for the following types of equipment as a minimum: Generators, Switchgears, UPS, Inverters, Automatic Transfer Switches, Transformers, Harmonic Filters, Variable Frequency Drives, Motor Control Centers (MCC's), Motor Starters, Interior and Exterior Lighting and Power Management System.
- Experience performing Power Systems Studies using analysis software. (SKM Power Tools Preferred).
- Experience in electrical and instrumentation design in hazardous locations.
- Experience in electrical and instrumentation design in ISO clean room locations.
- Experience in security and access control systems.
- Experience in fire alarm and smoke control systems.
- Knowledge & experience in the design, implementation, operations and maintenance of utility systems, as well as working in a regulated environment (FDA, cGMP, OSHA).
- Experience working to regulatory standards: FDA, Good Engineering Practice (GEP), Good Manufacturing Procedures (GMP) and Good Documentation Procedures (GDP).
- Understanding of technical documents such as Maintenance Plans, Task lists, System Specifications (URS, FRS), SAT, FAT, Commissioning & Qualification Protocols & Specifications, Validation Protocols.
- Experience with Quality Management and Change Control Systems.
- Excellent technical problem-solving skills and the ability to work in collaborative and independent work situations and environments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work with consultants and contractors, while interfacing with multiple departments, working with internal customers to manage projects, policy, and procedures.
- Knowledge of computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS) and utility operations programs. (SAP)
- Must work and interact effectively and professionally with others.
- Must have effective oral and written communication skills.
- Computer skills: MS Office Suite, MS Project, and AutoCAD.
- Drives Results
- Business Insight
- Situational Adaptability
- Communicates Effectively
- Customer Focus
- Organizational Savvy
- Plans and Aligns