Associate Scientist, Biology
BioSpace has been engaged to help our client, a venture backed biotechnology company utilizing a novel spatially encoded screening and optimization platform to develop treatments for historically intractable causes of human disease, to hire an experienced cell biologist to join the biology team. The company's platform technology provides comprehensive, quantitative affinity binding data at a completely unprecedented scale. Our internal development programs are focused on oncology and immunology. In addition to these programs we also work with leading pharmaceutical companies. Our platform is based on fluorescent imaging of ultra-dense microarrays such that, via thousands to millions of images, we can measure billions of target/molecule interactions in a day, generating hundreds of millions of dose-response binding curves.
The candidate will work with other scientists in the team to design and optimize a wide-range of biochemical and cell-based assays and implement these to evaluate hits from screens and drive lead optimization. The position will report to the Head of Biology.
1. Independently run biochemical and cell-based assays specific to therapeutic targets of interest
2. Adapt assays for medium to high-throughput screening of small molecule hits from our affinity screens
3. Analyze data and communicate results
4. Support organization of lab and equipment as needed
Experience and Qualifications:
Given the company’s size, anticipated growth and fast-paced environment, the organization requires a scientist who is thoughtful, high energy and can work effectively with the biology team to further enhance our next generation drug discovery capabilities. Part of the organization’s success is nurtured by a hands-on work environment where everyone is accountable, everyone is vested in a vision of excellence, and everyone actively takes part in the success of the business. We support a positive work environment comprised of engaged employees who feel appreciated, recognized and free to be creative.
• BSc with 5+ years of research experience in the field of immunology, oncology, molecular biology, biochemistry or related field
• Background in small molecule drug discovery required
• Extensive hands-on experience with biochemical assays required
• Extensive hands-on experience with cell culture and cell-based assays required, including reporter assays and ELISAs
• Proficiency in primary cell isolation, differentiation and culture and flow cytometry a plus
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and can thrive in a highly collaborative research environment
• Demonstrated technical proficiency, ability to troubleshoot to solve problems and to deliver high quality data