Zero Acre Farms recently launched in the San Francisco Bay Area to stop chronic disease, deforestation, and climate change.
If you strive to have a quantum impact on health and sustainability, have a green thumb when it comes to cutting-edge synthetic biology, bioanalytical, or industrial biotechnologies, and would jump at an opportunity to build a collaborative work environment from the ground up, we would love to hear from you.
Please share your CV and interest in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include in the subject line the position title you feel is a good fit (i.e. " Synthetic Biologist”).
Zero Acre Farms seeks a Synthetic/Molecular Biologist to join our Strain Development team to develop and apply molecular tools for the genetic optimization of our non-conventional microbial hosts. The successful candidate will have a strong background in quantitative eukaryotic molecular genetics, experience successfully developing molecular tools for non-conventional microorganisms, and experience applying these tools to the optimization of whole cell biocatalysts. The position requires practical experience applying state-of-the-art evolutionary engineering theory in combination with high-throughput molecular biology and screening. The new team member will work closely with one or more research assistants and scientists and contribute to the development of the Strain Development Team. As an integral part of the core R&D team, this position requires exceptional organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills and working collaboratively with all teams and their members. We are open to both early stage and senior candidates, with title being commensurate with experience.
- PhD or equivalent in biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, chemical engineering, or related discipline.
- Experience successfully working in an industrial setting.
- Deep understanding of the biochemistry and genetics of yeast, including gene structure and regulation, cell cycle and replication, meiotic and mitotic recombination.
- Experience successfully developing molecular tools
- Experience genetically manipulating non-conventional yeast.
- Mechanisms of genetic manipulation including direct and agrobacterial transformation, RNAi, CRISPR, physical and chemical mutagenesis, homologous and non-homologous recombination.
- Experience using automation and HTP approaches to generate and screen genetic libraries.
- Expertise with the software packages for the visualization, interpretation, and manipulation of DNA at gene and genomic scales.
- Exceptional ability to design, execute and analyze conclusive experiments.
- Ability and desire to learn and where necessary develop new techniques and technologies.
- Successful experience and desire to work within and contribute to a diverse, collaborative, multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
Nice to Have
- Experience working with non-conventional yeast and fungi
- Experience automating molecular biology and genetic protocols
- Experience breeding strains through sexual and parasexual mating