At Zero Acre Farms we believe great things come in small packages and are partnering with the microbial world to replace the most destructive products in our food chain. Industrial agriculture, while successfully feeding the masses, has resulted in an unintentional restructuring of the human diet, replacing nutritious whole foods with ultra-processed monocrops that directly cause chronic disease, deforestation, and climate change. Zero Acre Farms is providing healthy, sustainable, and cost-effective alternatives through the farming of microbes. We are a well-funded start-up in the San Francisco Bay Area actively recruiting a core team that share our passion to provide a new generation of healthy sustainable food, and we seek exceptional scientists and technologists to join this effort.
If you strive to have a quantum impact on health and sustainability, have a green thumb when it comes to cutting-edge analytical, synthetic biology, or industrial biotechnologies, and would jump at the opportunity to build a collaborative work environment from the ground up, we would like to hear from you.
Please share your resume and a brief cover letter in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include "Analytical Chemist" in the subject line.
Zero Acre Farms recognizes that Analytical Sciences is the heartbeat of a successful research and development team, and we seek an experienced Analytical Scientist to help establish and grow the Analytical Team. The successful candidate will be an exceptional analytical chemist and have deep practical experience applying Gas Chromatography, Mass Spectroscopy, High Performance Liquid Chromatography, UV/Vis/Fluorescence spectroscopy, NMR, and other technologies to the detection, characterization, and quantification of compounds from complex biological matrices. This position along with team members will be responsible for establishing the analytical lab, running and maintaining its equipment, and developing and executing robust standard operating protocols that include sample organization, prep, evaluation, and data analysis. It is expected the successful candidate will have significant previous experience with the analysis of lipids, fatty acids, their oxidative break down products, and working with biological samples. The analytical team will be responsible for establishing high-throughput methodologies and equipment and will work closely with the Strain Development, Cultivation, and Harvest Teams to develop streamlined high-throughput experimentation workflows. The scientist will work closely with one or more research assistants and scientists and contribute to the development and growth of the Analytical Team. As an integral part of the core R&D team, this position requires exceptional organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills and working collaboratively with all teams and their members. Title will be commensurate with experience.
- PhD or equivalent in Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related discipline.
- At least 3 years working in an industrial environment.
- Hands on experience developing and applying analytical S.O.P.s using Gas Chromatography, HPLC, Mass Spectroscopy, NMR, UV/VIS/Fluorescence, and FACS.
- Previous experience characterizing and quantifying lipids, fatty acids, and their complex oxidation products.
- Experience in the development of biochemical and enzymatic assays.
- Deep interest and understanding of the mechanics, maintenance, and troubleshooting of analytical equipment and associated methods.
- Experience successfully developing sample prep and analytical methods for specific analytes from complex biological matrices.
- Experience in the use of automation to develop and support high-throughput experimentation and workflows.
- Strong understanding and ability to apply statistics to experimental design and data analysis.
- Exceptional ability to design, execute and analyze conclusive experiments and to present data concisely and convincingly.
- Ability and desire to learn new techniques and technologies
- Successful experience and interest to work within and contribute to a diverse multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
Nice to have
- Experience with LIMS and data management.
- Chemical characterization of impurities and the closing of mass balances.
- Experience working with high-throughput NMR.