Postdoc - Postdoctoral Fellow - The Convergence of Machine Learning with High Throughput Experimenta
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
The Postdoctoral Program is designed for true investigational and experimental research. Participants will be mentored by renowned industry scientists and collaborators at AbbVie and focused on delivering cutting-edge advancements in Discovery, Development Sciences and BioPharma. The enriching training program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience which fosters a learning environment to advance individual development with accessibility to high-level knowledge building across the drug development continuum. Technical expert that will investigate, identify, develop and optimize new methods/ techniques to address critical project needs. Continuously seek to improve existing laboratory methods and processes. Read and adapt literature to accomplish assignments. Demonstrate mastery of broad range of experimental techniques and methods of data analysis.
To be successful, we need outstanding individuals willing to challenge themselves to find the best solutions for our patients. The AbbVie Postdoc program is one way we are doing just that.
Through our Postdoc program, we are hiring postdocs from key academic institutions for preferred areas of science in the U.S., while providing a unique opportunity for participants to build a solid career foundation in the pharmaceutical industry while building the AbbVie brand as an employer of choice for scientific talent. The program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience, with accessibility to high-level knowledge building across the drug development continuum. This assignment is expected to be two years and no more than three years.
We are looking for the incoming Postdoc class to join AbbVie as the company is positioning itself for another significant year of growth and of the continuing advancement of its patient-driven science and its strategic priorities. In a collaborative, resource rich environment, you and your scientific mentor will be exploring, targeting, investigating, and evaluating key areas of novel research with a publication as the end point. We have an exceptional postdoctoral opportunity within Advanced Chemistry Technologies (ACT) group based in North Chicago, Illinois. ACT group specializes in the implementation and utilization of modern high throughput technologies and enabling chemistry technologies to facilitate drug discovery med chem research at AbbVie.
This scientist will conceive, execute, and develop reaction conditions for the synthetic transformations of high interests to med chem research by the utilization of modern high throughput reaction screen technologies. The candidate will work closely with data scientists to distill critical information out from reaction datasets generated as well as maximizing the impact of the datasets generated by enabling reaction prediction via machine learning.
- Design experiments and reaction screens for the synthetic transformation of interest
- Utilize high throughput reaction screening and analysis technologies to identify optimal reaction condition
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the laboratory setting
- Effective writer and communicator of research materials
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve key chemistry issues by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise
- Proactively seek out new information in the literature and incorporate this into individual project(s) as well as the overall program
- Publish research in peer-reviewed journals and present work at scientific conferences aligned with business objectives
- Demonstrate a high degree of responsibility in maintaining scientific standards, and safe laboratory practices for self and reporting staff, if any
- Generate new research strategies to effectively address project needs
- Collaborate with functional and technical experts to facilitate scientific achievement
- Basic qualifications:
- Successful completion and defense of a PhD in Organic Chemistry from an accredited and nationally ranked university.
- Demonstrate scientific initiative and creativity in research or development activities.
- Demonstrate the ability to resolve key project hurdles and assumptions by effectively utilizing available information and technical expertise.
- Demonstrate the ability to independently design and execute experiments, interpret data, and identify appropriate follow-up strategies.
- Excellent communication, leadership, and project management skills.
- Demonstrated scientific writing skills and strong verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to independently design and execute experiments, interpret data, and identify appropriate follow-up strategies.
- Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, innovation, initiative, and integrity.
- Global mindset to thrive in a diverse culture and environment.
- Ability to multitask and work within timelines.
- Record of publication in prestigious journal (s).
- Demonstrated strong expertise in catalytic methodology discovery and development, with a proven record of synthetic problem-solving skills.
- Work authorization in the U.S.
- Three letters of recommendation (Thesis Advisor)
- Letter of intent to pursue Postdoc
- Hands-on experience in the area of high throughput experimentation
- Knowledge in machine learning algorithm
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages to reality
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.