Associate Scientist/Scientist, Analytical Method Development (Separation Scientist)
Xencor is an innovative, clinical-stage biotechnology company located in the Los Angeles area (near Pasadena) and in San Diego. We use our pioneering XmAb® technology to discover and develop better biotherapeutics – antibodies and other proteins with improved function – with the goal of improving patient outcomes and quality of life, and we have an excellent opportunity for a Separation Scientist to join our team.
Our capabilities and the modular nature of XmAb technology allows us to quickly identify and create new platforms and drug candidates for potential development. We are developing a deep pipeline of novel drug candidates enabled by the rapid expansion of our bispecific antibody and cytokine technologies. Nine XmAb bispecific antibody programs are in clinical testing, and more are expected to start clinical testing in 2021. We also leverage our many XmAb technologies by engaging in multiple collaborations with leading global biopharmaceutical companies, including Novartis, Amgen and Genentech, among others. We and our partners are advancing 18 XmAb drug candidates through clinical development, and two medicines that incorporate XmAb technology are approved for commercial marketing.
We seek a scientist with expertise in the development, troubleshooting, transfer and qualification of HPLC and capillary electrophoresis assays. The incumbent will contribute to Xencor’s engineered protein therapeutic product research and development pipeline by providing expert scientific input and technical performance of high quality, high resolution methods to assess product quality and purity.
Job Duties Include:
- Help establish a new analytical lab at Xencor assisting in the acquisition, set-up and maintenance of lab equipment.
- Develop, transfer and troubleshoot chromatography (HPLC/UPLC) methods for use in release and stability testing of biotherapeutic clinical trial materials.
- Develop, transfer and troubleshoot capillary electrophoresis methods, including SDS-CGE and icIEF, for use in release and stability testing of biotherapeutic clinical trial materials.
- Draft test methods (SOPs) and development reports of pre-qualified methods.
- Perform forced degradation studies to support CQA assessment, process development and specification setting.
- Establish working relationships with other groups within Research and Development to support the development of the Xencor pipeline.
- Maintain current knowledge of the field and area(s) of scientific expertise and development.
- Ph.D. degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or a related field with at least 1 year of experience in an industrial setting.
- Hands-on experience with the design, development, optimization, qualification, and transfer of chromatography-based assays such as SEC, CEX, RP, HIC and normal phase for biologics.
- Hands-on experience with the design, development, optimization, qualification, and transfer of CE-based assays including SDS-CGE and icIEF for biologics.
- Direct experience with Waters Empower or Sciex 32Karat software packages.
- Knowledge of protein degradation pathways.
- Excellent organizational and critical thinking skills; attention to detail, adaptive learning and the ability to work well in a team.
- Strong written and oral communication skills with experience in authoring and reviewing technical reports and/or regulatory documents.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment and prioritize work from multiple projects within a flexible work schedule.
Desired but not required:
- Experience applying Design of Experiments to assay optimization and qualification.
- Ability to troubleshoot instrument problems and perform routine maintenance.
- Experience working with contract testing labs.
We strive to create an environment that will challenge, motivate, and reward our employees for meeting the changing demands of creating breakthrough therapeutics. Xencor has a highly collaborative structure that integrates co-workers with different skill sets into teams for product and technology development. With an emphasis on attaining the best and most highly qualified candidates in their respective fields, we offer a competitive salary & benefits package.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Statement
The Company will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please contact HR@xencor.com.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
The Company is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.
Xencor does not accept profiles or resumes from recruiting vendors without a binding written agreement. Any unsolicited submission of services and or resumes in no way creates an obligation or duty by Xencor, implied or otherwise.