VP, Head of Real World Evidence
VP, Head of Real World Evidence
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. As part of our rapidly growing science-driven organization, colleagues at Gilead are revolutionizing healthcare by bringing urgently needed medicines to patients in the areas of virology, including HIV/AIDS, hematology and oncology, inflammation and respiratory diseases. We are proud to have some of the most talented colleagues from across the research, healthcare, pharmaceutical, biotechnology & business sectors, working together and supporting each other to help make a real difference to the lives of patients.
Vice President, Head of Real World Evidence
Reporting to the SVP of Data Sciences and Biometrics, the Head of Real World Evidence will lead the expansion of the Epidemiology organization from a focus on post-authorization safety studies to also encompass the use of real world evidence to support decision-making across Gilead's pipeline. In this capacity, the individual will oversee an increase in the direct and in-direct resources dedicated to building out an industry-leading real world evidence capability.
Through this individual's leadership, the expanded Real World Evidence organization will collaborate with cross-functional and cross-therapeutic groups broadly and provide input into real world evidence generation strategies and observational study designs to support Gilead's pipeline and life cycle management strategy. This role is an influential leader within the company, championing appropriate methodological approaches and study designs, driving the institution of best practices with regard to the planning, execution, and interpretation of observational studies. In particular, the use of real world data to build comparator cohorts supporting single-arm trials has increased in the pharmaceutical industry. In their role as Head of Real World Evidence, this individual will be jointly accountable with the VP of Biostatistics for the rigorous design of a combined clinical trial and observational study evidence generation plan that demonstrates the value of Gilead's medicines.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of functional leadership, strategic situational judgement in using both innovative and pragmatic approaches to observational research, as well as demonstrated motivation for and excellence in people management and development.
- Strategic Thinking: Aligns with Clinical Development senior leadership to define and implement a technically advanced cross functional real world evidence strategy to support our development and life cycle management needs; Maintains a broad understanding of relevant external global trends, anticipating emerging issues relevant to the department, identifying strategic needs in technical knowledge and setting the strategic direction for the department to meet regulatory, scientific and business needs.
- Innovation: Keeps up to date on industry-leading RWE platforms, common data models (CDMs), distributed data networks and collaboration models (ex OHDSI) and RWE data sciences by actively participating in technical meetings and maintaining relationships with external innovators to constantly bring the best solutions to Gilead
- Delivery Excellence: Builds and develops an expert team of epidemiologists and real world data researchers to support goals across therapeutic areas; Leads an assessment of Gilead's current real world evidence capabilities and strengths and develops a roadmap for building additional capabilities where needed; Ensures the execution and integrity of protocols, statistical analysis plans, study reports and presentations and publications of observational studies by applying your past experiences and providing leadership
- Influence and Partnership: Enables data-driven decision making within Gilead Clinical Development to increase the impact of existing programs; Creates external relationships with academic and industry experts in order to stay abreast of emerging technologies; Identifies, selects and develops partners, including vendors and collaborators (both academic and industry), ensuring alignment with the overall vision of R&D and identifying cross functional benefits
- People Development: Develops others by identifying and mentoring high performers and building a culture of inclusion and collaboration throughout the organization; Delegates responsibility and empowers others.
- Decision-making: Maintains a culture of rigorous data-driven decision making that rewards truth-seeking behavior; Encourages employees to exercise good judgement and embrace decision making; Empowers capable individuals to be accountable decision-makers
- Communication: Champions the Biostatistics function across all areas of the business; Creates excitement and passion for the role of Real World Evidence to inform decisions across the organization
Capabilities and Requirements:
- Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following
- Build and manage an industry-leading real world evidence team and capability at Gilead
- Accountable for ongoing support of Gilead's post authorization safety studies, Risk Evaluation Management Systems (REMS), regulatory agency requests and related lifecycle management activities
- Works closely with Medical Affairs to establish a partnership model on the design and execution of voluntary post authorization studies
- Accountable for the ongoing evolution of Gilead's data governance policies and procedures for secondary use of observational data
- In collaboration with Clinical Development functions, works across and within therapeutic areas to develop and execute on a proactive real world data acquisition strategy to support the Gilead's portfolio
- Jointly accountable with the VP of Biostatistics for the rigorous design of a combined clinical trial and observational study evidence generation plan for any clinical trials supported by real world evidence cohorts
- Contributes to the IT and platform strategy for the support of real world data awareness,
- acquisition, integration and analysis across Gilead.
- Advises and influences senior leadership/functional leads on real world evidence generation strategies as well as functional issues that have a business impact.
- Provides leadership, guidance and management to real world evidence support across therapeutic areas to ensure high quality and timely deliverables.
- Champions the creation/maintenance of training on observational research topics and departmental SOPs, Policies and Business Enablement Documents.
- Represents the company in interfaces with regulatory agencies globally.
- Contributes to Clinical Development Plans, submissions, and post-submission strategies, preparations and defenses.
- Represents Gilead at professional societies, and in industry-wide technical discussions.
- Identifies external experts for consultation. Manages and coordinates limited resources to produce quality deliverables within timelines for competing priorities.
- Interacts and manages KOLs/CROs and represents the company in external scientific forums.
- Provides guidance to employees' development plans and carries out performance review and feedback.
- Provides active coaching to Real World Data team members when developing solutions to problems.
- Builds a professional and effective real world evidence community that is seen as a business asset, strategic partner and attracts, develops and retains top talent
Education and Qualifications:
- PhD in Epidemiology, Health Economics, Biostatistics, Statistics or related field
- 15+ years of experience working in a Biotech/Pharma R&D business function
- Leadership and build experience across a global Epidemiology or Real World Evidence function in a pharmaceutical environment
- Direct experience engaging with regulatory agencies on the use of real world evidence in support of pharmaceutical development and lifecycle management
- Demonstrated skill in the planning, analysis and reporting of prospective and retrospective observational studies in a pharmaceutical environment
- Detailed knowledge of observational methodologies and regulatory requirements around its use to support regulatory filings and post-authorization activities
- In-depth knowledge of all clinical phases of the global drug development process
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment with clinical team members
- Demonstrated skill in resource planning and management
- Demonstrated ability to create and fulfill a vision in a matrix environment and work collaboratively with internal stakeholders across different functions
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to translate between business leaders, scientists and technologists
- You are a natural leader and specialist in Epidemiology and/or observational research who can bring teams closer together and architect the common use of epidemiological methodology in a variety of therapeutics areas
- You can create excitement and passion for the role of Biostatistics across the organization
- You are a reputable expert in building real world evidence functions who enjoys debating in novel methodologies, is persuasive and trusted by senior leadership teams
- You have strong interpersonal skills who is able to create collaborative relationships companywide and support individuals with their specific needs
- You are a champion of the long-term vision for Real World Evidence and its partnership with Biostatistics, Data Sciences, Bioinformatics and other analytics disciplines within Gilead
Gilead Core Values
- Integrity (Doing What's Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.