Senior Scientist/Director, Antibody Drug Development
At miRagen, we aim to advance new treatments for patients underserved by today’s therapies. Our team consists of talented, entrepreneurial-minded professionals dedicated to improving the lives of patients suffering from serious diseases. We strive for data-driven decisions, strategic risk-taking, and efficient use of time and funds to best position our ideas for success. We value thoughtful ideas, open communication, and transparency, and are committed to a culture that allows employees to contribute at a high level, grow their careers, and balance their personal and professional ambitions.
Reporting to the Chief Scientist, the incumbent will work with the miRagen leadership team and external partners to ensure successful integration of all aspects of multiple contract R&D projects. This individual will be responsible for antibody lead identification using hybridoma, single cell screening, and/or phage display approaches, antibody engineering, as well as biophysical characterization and developability assessment to advance antibody discovery programs from lead generation to clinical candidate nomination. Primary responsibilities include:
- Lead/participate in the generation, design, characterization and developability assessment of therapeutic antibodies for a portfolio of antibody-based projects.
- Define and execute screening cascades to generate and optimize lead antibodies with pharmacological and biophysical properties that match the envisioned product concept for each project.
- Lead/participate in variable domain and Fc engineering strategies.
- Interface with multiple contract research organizations and partners to coordinate project deliverables.
- Manage projects and resources to maximize progress in a virtual environment, including identification of additional CROs to meet project needs.
- Establish project timelines and goals, and a plan to meet them.
- Effectively communicate research progress and opportunities to colleagues, senior management, and potential investors.
- Support technology transfer for clinical development.
- An advanced degree in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Immunology or related fields and a minimum four (4) years of relevant industrial experience.
- Demonstrated experience in lead antibody generation using hybridoma, single cell screening, and display technologies.
- Thorough knowledge and practical experience in antibody engineering, antibody expression, and immunological and biophysical characterization methods.
- Experience with Fc engineering is a plus.
- Proven ability to lead a project including selection of lead generation platforms, screening cascade / assays, characterization, and optimization.
- Demonstrated experience with computational protein engineering and related bioinformatics techniques including humanization and NGS evaluation of immune repertoir.
- Knowledge of structural biology and structure visualization software preferred.
- Ability to work with flexibility in a virtual environment with multiple external partners.
- Demonstrated success with anticipating challenges, troubleshooting, and identifying solutions.
- Exceptional time management and the ability to complete essential projects required to meet key corporate objectives. Strong written and oral communication skills.
MiRagen has facilities in Waltham, MA and Boulder, CO. As the rest of antibody discovery team is based in MA, candidates from the Boston area would have the advantage of being able to interact with the team in person, when conditions allow.
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $130K - $228K and commensurate with experience. MiRagen offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Full medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Short- and long-term disability coverage
- Group term life insurance
- Medical and Dependent Care FSA
- 401(k) Company match
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan