Director, Search & Evaluation
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
Please note this position will be based in US for 6 months and then an expat assignment to Shanghai
The Search & Evaluation group actively supports the Corporate Strategy Office and global business development goals by executing against the BD strategy of Abbvie. The S&E group sources partnering opportunities for Abbvie from academic institutions, biotech companies, venture capital investors, and large biopharma companies, for potential research collaborations, licensing agreements, and other transactions. In addition to sourcing of strategically aligned external partnering opportunities the group is responsible for carrying out all scientific/technical assessments of such partnering opportunities, conducting all scientific/technical due diligence, and generally collaborating with other CSO functions and key stakeholder from across the Abbvie organization, to ensure prioritization of- and cross-functional support for emerging partnering opportunities. The Director JAPAC Search & Evaluation will be responsible for supporting execution in the JAPAC region (excluding Australia and New Zealand) against AbbVie's BD strategies across therapeutic areas for the advancement or AbbVie's pipeline and for driving sustainable growth for the Company. This is a highly visible role that offers a chance to make significant contributions towards AbbVie's BD goals.
- Proactively search, identify and evaluate potential partnering opportunities from the JAPAC region, including research tools, research collaborations, platform technologies, preclinical- and clinical-stage assets, that are aligned with Abbvie therapeutic area- and business development strategies
- Support the scientific/technical assessment of newly identified partnering opportunities as needed, in close collaboration with S&E therapeutic area leads, and subject matter experts from R&D, including: 1) managing interactions with external parties, 2) coordinating the assessment process, 3) developing presentations, reports, strategies and proposals for senior governance committee and senior management review and decision-making.
- Support and, in coordination with S&E therapeutic area groups, co-lead scientific/technical due diligence activities, including coordination of meetings, site visits, preparation of due diligence reports.
- Form strong partnerships with the transaction teams (BD, AbbVie Ventures, Technology Licensing & Collaborations) for advancing prioritized partnering opportunities to non-binding term sheet, agreement negotiation, and deal execution stages in the partnering process. .
- Contribute towards the negotiation process including coordination of input into draft agreements from R&D functions
- Capturing, tracking, and updating information regarding new and existing partnering opportunities using AbbVie's BD tracking tools and databases.
- Continuously communicate and network with external parties, including participation in partnering events, scientific conferences, panel discussions, and other events as needed, to ensure awareness of areas of interest, partnering priorities, and strategic BD goals of AbbVie s.
- Support business process improvement initiatives and strategic and other cross-functional initiatives.
- Support the efforts for creating evergreen external BD strategies that align with AbbVie's overall corporate strategy and embedded TA-focused strategies and pipeline goals.
- Advanced scientific/medical degree in a related scientific field (e.g. biology, chemistry, pharmacology) required.
- 5+ years of drug development, Business Development, or other relevant (e.g., venture capital, technology transfer) work experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industries required.
- Must possess profound understanding of the pharmaceutical drug discovery and development process from early discovery to commercial launch,
- In-depth knowledge of at least one major domain of pharmaceutical drug development strongly preferred (e.g., Discovery/Pre-clinical Research, Clinical Development, Regulatory AffairsCMC).
- Must have experience at successfully and independently leading cross-functional teams, including strong project management skills, leadership skills to lead/manage cross-functional teams. Must have proven track record of being able to drive projects to deliver timely results and follow through on commitments.
- Strong communication and networking skills to effectively communicate business strategies and capabilities internally and externally, present individual and team recommendations clearly and concisely, and promote cross-functional communication.
- Must possess basic knowledge of business development practices, e.g. basic understanding of legal frameworks such as CDAs, MTAs, NBTS, and agreements, as well as understanding of deal frameworks, and financial modeling.
- People management experience and demonstrated leadership skills strongly preferred.
- Proven ability to creatively solve problems, connect unrelated concepts, derive insights for informing decision-marking under uncertainty, with limited time, and with imperfect information required. Proven ability to influence team members and key stakeholders in a cross-functional or matrixed environment required.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.