The Controller is responsible for the accounting activities of the Company to support expansion of the Company’s operations. Reporting to the COO and CFO, the Controller is responsible for overseeing accounting operations, audit and external auditors, tax compliance, internal controls, and will help build the Company’s financial processes, internal controls, reporting, and systems.Specific Responsibilities
- Build and lead team to perform all accounting functions (general ledger, accounts payable, payroll, tax revenue recognition, technical accounting, and stock administration).
- Responsible for accurate and timely monthly, quarterly and year-end close processes and the preparation of internal and external financial statements in accordance with GAAP, including SEC reporting and SOX compliance and control testing. Lead the activities with external auditors and internal controls.
- Implement systems and processes to quickly lay the foundation for the accounting function, but also enable the Company to scale rapidly with evolving needs.
- Manage month end close process and develop roadmap for reducing the close time.
- Develop annual budget and consolidate for board review.
- Develop and drive the adoption of common processes and systems across the Company.
- Manage the submission of income, property, franchise, and other tax returns.
- Identify and research appropriate treatment of complex accounting transactions.
- Optimize the procure-to-pay and accrual procedures.
- Establish policies and processes to create controls around spending.
- Work with Legal on contract reviews and audit committee discussions.
- BA/BS degree and CPA or equivalent required.
- Big Four accounting experience preferred.
- 10+ years of biotech industry experience is strongly preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of US GAAP, SEC rules and regulations and reporting requirements, and SOX regulations.
- Ability to build strong relationships with co-workers of various backgrounds and expertise.
- Ability to function at a high level in a team setting whether leading the group or acting as an individual contributor.
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills; ability to interface and communicate effectively with executive management and other functions within the organization.
- Experience managing relationships with external auditors.
- A proven track record of process improvement and experience with financial systems and process change initiatives.
- Excellent judgment and critical-thinking skills.
- Familiar and comfortable with working in a small, growing company, able to work with all functions in the organization, able to work remotely.
- Fluent in Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.), NetSuite or other ERP software.