Category Manager (Commercial & Indirect Purchasing)
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
As a member of the US Commercial and Indirect PSM ("CIPSM") team, this individual will manage a Commercial category of services and associated spend. They will provide strategic direction and perspective to their assigned category in alignment with purchasing priorities at the site and across our organization. They will manage stakeholder relationships and develop category strategies to support the organization's business imperatives. The individual will also actively partner with PSM and Finance leadership to communicate, strategy, savings opportunities, and effectively promote successes across their areas of responsibility.
- Responsible for sourcing, bidding, negotiating, contracting, and purchasing goods and services in alignment with agreed category strategies. Execute the competitive bidding process in accordance with the Organization's Purchasing Policy
- Understand the Organization's approved buying channels and contracting policy for goods and services and help guide requestor's to the appropriate buying channel
- Develop and maintain a supply base that ensures the best value for quality, delivery, pricing, service, etc. Includes over-sight of all new vendor requests, in alignment with preferred supplier networks and relevant category strategy
- Support and implement preferred supplier network for certain spend categories and help drive spend to these suppliers
- Proactive management of local suppliers including, anticipation, resolution and communication. Analyze supplier performance using rating system using established rating systems (eg supplier metrics program, suppliers' goals, etc.).
- Demonstrate knowledge of external guidelines (eg FDA, Customs, TSCA, USDA, PhRMA, etc) to ensure compliance
- Identify, develop and implement standardized buying practices to ensure adequacy of supply chain. Educate requisitioners on the same
- Effectively develop and negotiate confidentiality agreements and any other agreement in alignment with agreed category strategies, at a financial approved and authorized for the position
- Meet regularly with internal customers and support functions to ensure customer satisfaction and continuous improvement, including monthly / regular reporting and updates
- Support AbbVie category strategies and obtain client approval of category strategies. Communicate with the relevant Category Manager to help identify major opportunities
- Manages and/or influences a team of purchasing professionals.
- Influence both stakeholders and suppliers to consider alternative approaches to manage our spend and our activities in the assigned categories by being strong change management leader
- Bachelor's degree in Business or related discipline or 4 years of equivalent work experience
- A minimum of 7 years of progressive experience in purchasing or related experience, preferably in Pharmaceutical industry
- Analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Written and verbal skills enabling effective communication with all levels of management
- Knowledge of purchasing policy
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.