Intern - Graduate - Library & Info Services
Intern - Graduate - Library & Info Services
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
The Library & Information Services (L&IS) department in Medical Affairs is a global partner to all Gilead functions. L&IS team members provide literature searching and analysis, copyright guidance, as well as access, outreach and training on resources that are used by research, development, medical and commercial colleagues.
L&IS has three potential projects and the selected applicant will drive the decision on which project will be selected.
- Harmonize and Visualize Data: Capture and harmonize all of the usage and users of 40+ databases and thousands of electronic journals for ROI analysis. Create an interactive dashboard that can be automatically updated.
- Transform the eLibrary Portal: There are currently 4600 eLibrary users, an increase of 18% a year; L&IS wants to improve the design and UX of the portal. The candidate for this position would have expertise in user experience design. The expected outcome would be the launch of a redesigned eLibrary portal.
- Marketing Plan: Develop strategy and tactics for marketing L&IS services and resources to all colleagues worldwide. The final deliverable would be a plan for L&IS to use for the next 12 months.
Essential Duties and Job Functions depending upon experience may include
- Conducting analysis of usage statistics from the eLibrary site and from licensed databases; identifying process with IT, suppliers and other key partners to capture and map usage data to departments
- Assisting in developing a marketing plan for the Library & Information Services team
- Developing, testing and launch of a new user interface for the eLibrary portal
- Other ad-hoc projects as needed
The ideal candidate:
- Indicates a strong desire to establish a career within a health-related or computer science field and is prepared to display autonomy through various independent projects and assignments
- Demonstrates initiative, attention to detail, teamwork, and professionalism in a fast-paced corporate environment
- Exhibits proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint; Power BI or user experience design a plus
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- LIS graduate student preferred or undergraduate enrolled in a 4-year accredited university/college; Enrollment in Fall Semester after internship is required
- Preferred: undergraduate degree such as Computer Science, Business, Marketing, Biology
- Ability to complete 10-12 consecutive weeks between May and September
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.