Engineering Projects Senior Manager
HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like you're part of something bigger, it's because you are. At Amgen our shared mission-to serve patients-drives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the world's leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve together-researching, manufacturing and delivering ever-better products that read over 10 million patients worldwide. It's time for a career you can be proud of. Join us.
Engineering Projects Senior Manager
What you will do
Let's do this. Let's change the world. In this vital role you will independently manage and oversee complex capital projects involving the planning, design, reconfiguration or construction, of the company buildings, structures, and equipment, both utility and process. You will lead an engineering team leveraged from within the company and external partners, for complex, technical projects, to coordinate the implementation of highly innovative and ingenious solutions to support Amgen's business needs.
- Defines project scope, forms project team, develops project strategy, master schedule and spending schedule, for projects supporting the engineering, construction, start up, commissioning, and qualification of various facilities, ranging from cGMP manufacturing, laboratories (Biology, Process Development, Quality, Chemistry), Utility plants, Warehousing, and Distribution centers.
- Governs project objectives and interprets company policies.
- Prepares project funding documents with scope, cash flow, schedule, and commitments.
- Motivates project teams to a successful outcome. Leads engineering and contractor assessment and selection process. Sets up logistics system, including Request for Quote (RFQ's), bid selection materials management, invoice approval.
- Reviews and approves cost estimates, sets up systems for checks and balances.
- Integrates complete team into planning and design reviews for Infrastructure Planning & Design (IPD) projects.
- Frequent review of progress vs. schedule vs. cost with appropriate teams and provide regular updates to client and management.
- Develops and manages multiple large contracts.
- Develops total cost of ownership for capital projects. Establishes policies for major projects, interprets, executes, and recommends modifications to company-wide policies.
- Ability to travel up to 30-40% of the time within 50-mile radius as this position will be responsible for delivery of projects and programs at the Amgen Cambridge, Rhode Island and Woburn site. In addition, 5% travel may be needed to support projects in Louisville, KY facility.
What we expect of you
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Engineering or Project Management experience
Master's degree and 6 years of Engineering or Project Management experience
Bachelor's Degree and 8 years of Engineering or Project Management experience
Associate Degree and 10 years of Engineering or Project Management experience
High School diploma/GED and 12 years of Engineering or Project Management experience
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The Engineering Projects professional we seek is a dynamic Sr Manager with these qualifications:
- Experience leading Pharmaceutical / Biotechnology projects with Lean Construction or other continuous improvement methodology experience.
- Experience in Lifecycle Cost Analysis - Demonstrated Competencies: Extensive experience in the application of project management skills and concepts with a critical understanding of related engineering disciplines. Leadership experience of diverse teams of engineering, scientific, construction, and facilities management within the Pharmaceutical / Biotechnology industries.
- Demonstrate practical ingenuity with the ability to problem solve using practical solutions.
- Possesses the skills required to interface well with internal technical, scientific, and upper-level management groups.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and conflicting priorities across a broad range of facilities, engineering, and process disciplines.
- Excellent people skills featuring a proven. supervisory style that fits within the Amgen culture and values.
- Interpersonal and facilitation skills to forge consensus among competing client interests on critical and time-sensitive issues-important in ensuring that, within Amgen's collaborative culture, projects are finished on time and on budget. Often acts independently to uncover and resolve issues associated with the development and implementation of processes or procedures.
- Strong analytical skills in the information and communication technologies.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to tactfully negotiate and positively influence peers and executive leadership.
- Effective oral, visual and written communication skills as well as ability to listen effectively.
- Resilience and flexibility: able to react to changes quickly and apply knowledge to new problems and new contexts.
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, so we work to care for our teammates' professional and personal growth and well-being.
- Vast opportunities to learn and move up and across our global organization
- Diverse and inclusive community of belonging, where teammates are empowered to bring ideas to the table and act
- Generous Total Rewards Plan comprising health, finance and wealth, work/life balance, and career benefits
for a career that defies imagination
In our quest to serve patients above all else, Amgen is the first to imagine, and the last to doubt.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.