Research Scientist, Sr - Bioch Mol Ph
Under the general direction of the Principle Investigator, the Senior Research Scientist performs a variety of complex research experiments on a range of biochemical (enzymatic), biophysical and structural biology (x-ray; Cryo-EM) characterization of proteins pertinent to the interests of the research programs of the laboratory.
- Design and implement research projects in the laboratory.
- Stay current with the literature and regularly leads discussions of new reports pertinent to ongoing and proposed projects.
- Design and implement experiments to further ongoing research projects, in consultation with the principal investigator.
- Responsible for data acquisition, data analysis, and presentation of research results.
- Organize and analyze data acquired in the course of research projects.
- Prepare and present data for publication in public forums.
- Assist in the preparation of manuscripts, grant applications and other research proposals.
- Specific expertise in the study of enzymes is required including:
- Preparation of large milligram quantities of purified proteins that are amenable to protein crystallography.
- Engineering proteins to optimize expression and probe specific aspects of activity.
- Designing and optimizing well controlled enzymatic assays – including acquiring, processing, analyzing and preparing for public presentation (grants/seminars/articles) the data.
- Measuring kcat / Km and Kd by kinetic (fluorescent anisotropy) or thermodynamic (isothermal titration calorimetry) assays.
- Crystallization of apo and liganded proteins – with either substrates or inhibitors that are of quality for crystallographic studies.
- Train and supervise junior lab personnel, ensuring staff is trained in current methodology and safety procedures in the laboratory.
- Participate regularly in laboratory meetings.
- Navigate and train the diverse personalities that make up our dynamic laboratory.
- Provide support for under-represented minorities scholars.
- Ensure researchers in the laboratory are aware of the experimental nuances and potential risks of their experiments – that they are using the optimal approach to obtain quality data.
- Coordinate the protein expression -> crystallization efforts with regard to the various ongoing projects in the lab.
- Provide leadership and continuity around enzyme assays in the lab.
- Lead and coordinate the general operation of the laboratory.
- Maintaining records and samples of generated lab reagents: strains, plasmids, proteins and data.
- Maintain standard operating procedure of laboratory protocols and best practices.
- Run the lab in a positive supportive manner.
- Daily ordering of supplies, organizing lab supplies.
- Interface with vendors both around purchases and service contracts.
- Perform routine maintenance on specialized laboratory equipment and interface with vendors.
- Provide Departmental Support for shared instrumentation (ITC) and as part of the Structure Based Drug Design Core
- Interface with collaborators across the University and around the Country
- Perform other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a Biological Science, or equivalent degree
- 7 years of research experience.
- Familiarity with general laboratory procedures.
- Expertise in specific procedures and instrumentation necessary to complete specific research programs.
- Current knowledge of pertinent literature.
- Oral and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to travel to off-site locations