Head of Business Development, Platform Partnerships
Atomwise is looking for a highly motivated, accomplished and innovative Head of Business Development to create corporate partnerships for drug discovery using our platform technology.
Atomwise is a leading artificial intelligence (AI) drug discovery company that discovers small molecules to improve human health and agricultural productivity. Reporting to the Chief Business Officer, you will be responsible for developing and executing strategy to form partnerships with biotech, pharmaceutical, and agrochemical companies around the world, and growing and coaching a world class business development team.
You will be a problem solver with a track record of creating strategic plans and executing on them. You make great decisions with imperfect information, love to innovate and create new business models, convert uncertainty into opportunities, value feedback, and know when and how to adapt to new information and business needs. You are equally comfortable working with scientific and business teams. You can jump from an executive level pitch to detailed technical discussions to contractual negotiations in a single meeting. You have experience coaching and developing teams and care deeply about team culture and motivation. You create trust and strong internal and external relationships.
Atomwise is based in San Francisco and provides excellent opportunities for professional development and advancement.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Mentor and grow a business development team (platform partnerships)
- Develop and execute a strategy to form partnerships that use our platform technology for drug discovery with biotech, pharmaceutical, agrochemical companies, and venture fund portfolio companies around the world
- Create, track and adjust team performance
- Identify, distill, solve and clearly communicate complex problems and solutions
- In-depth understanding of the life science and pharma markets, including key stakeholders, collaborators and competitors
- Present to audiences at conferences, workshops, and on panels
- Manage a robust network of biotech, pharma, and venture capitalists
- Lead scientific discussions and high value deal negotiations with potential partners
- Closely collaborate with internal scientific, legal, alliance management, and marketing teams
- Contribute to our culture of collaboration, respect, integrity, and helpfulness
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Ph.D. in a scientific discipline, MBA, MD or JD
- 5+ years of business development experience in pharma or biotech
- Broad knowledge of small molecule drug discovery and development
- Excellent communicator of scientific and complex business topics
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to work on multiple initiatives in a fast-paced environment
- A track record of innovation and adaptability
- Experience mentoring and managing a team
- Ability to travel and attend onsite meetings and scientific conferences
- Preferred: sell-side transaction experience, and research experience in drug discovery
Compensation and Benefits:
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
- Stock compensation plan – you’ll be an Atomwise co-owner
- Platinum health, dental and vision benefits
- 401k with 4% match
- Funding for professional development and conference attendance
- Flexible work schedule
- Generous parental leave
- High performance culture
- Great colleagues
When applying, please:
- Include a cover letter
- Share a one-paragraph statement helping us to envision how your personal and professional experiences will help the Atomwise team form new partnerships
- Another one-paragraph statement telling us how Atomwise can help you to achieve your career goals
Atomwise is an equal opportunity employer and strives to foster an inclusive workplace. Our mission is to develop better medicines faster, and we know that we need a diverse team to develop medicines that serve diverse populations. Accordingly, the Company does not make any employment decisions (including but not limited to, hiring, compensation, and promotions) on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state, and local law.
We strongly encourage people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives to apply.
Atomwise is not currently offering visa sponsorships for any position. Please only apply if eligible to work in the U.S.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.