Director, Translational Medicine
NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to build a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine that has a track record of generating one new IND candidate per year. NGM’s current pipeline of clinical-stage programs consists of five drug candidates targeting liver and metabolic diseases, retinal diseases and cancer. The most advanced drug candidate, aldafermin (NGM282), is in Phase 2b clinical studies in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and is wholly-owned by NGM. Another drug candidate, NGM621, is in a Phase 2 study in geographic atrophy (GA) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (AMD). NGM’s strategic collaboration with Merck, with a current term running to March 2022, provides us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
Translational Science and Medicine serves as a pivotal bridge between Discovery Research and the Clinical Development of NGMBio’s portfolio. This group provides the necessary scientific and clinical expertise to advance an industry-leading pipeline of novel mechanism biologic agents to address unmet need across multiple disease areas (oncology, hepatology, metabolic disease, ophthalmology). The Director, Translational Medicine role will focus on integrating clinical and scientific expertise to NGM’s projects.
We are seeking a qualified Physician/Scientist to initiate and build a Translational Medicine group within the Translational Sciences Department at NGMBio. Reporting into the Sr Vice President and Chief Translational Officer, the Director of TM will be responsible for creating and coordinating innovative translational plans for portfolio assets. TM will combine expertise in the clinical study of disease, disease pathways and in early clinical trial design.
The Director, TM, will be primarily responsible for developing and implementing research program translational plans that are aligned with TA disease and pathway strategies. The successful candidate will be responsible for shaping the strategic vision for research programs and creating / implementing experimental medicine studies. This role will closely partner with research and translational science to coordinate internal research activities, engage in external interactions with academic institutions having strong capabilities in translational studies and work with external scientific experts to develop comprehensive program plans. This work will include leading the scientific aspects of translational studies (e.g., Phase 0). In this role, the Director, TM, will decisively contribute to coordinating and accelerating the pipeline to target nomination.
· Design and execution of translational strategies integrating both disease and pathway approaches.
· Collaborate with translational science on the development and implementation of clinical biomarker and patient segmentation strategies.
· Participate in formulating disease area strategy for target selection and validation.
· Contribute to the design of early clinical trials (First in Human/Patient), including experimental medicine studies. from Candidate Nomination (pre-IND) through Proof-of-Concept including: Articulating the clinical development strategy
· Design, implementation and analysis of early stage clinical trials
· Clinical leadership on cross-functional Early Development project teams
· Represent TM on early development teams.
· Liaise with clinical and laboratory-based academic investigators in Early Oncology and be a focal point for defining and establishing relationships with key Global Phase 1 Centers.
· Identify and collaborate with academic translational sites to optimize the translational strategy and plans for programs.
· Responsible for presentation of results and updates of projects at department, project, corporate and scientific meetings.
· MD degree required plus PhD or demonstrated research focus/accomplishment
· Minimum of 2 years of industry and/or translational research experience (with strong publication record) required, including IND submittals, Proof-of-Concept studies, First-in-Human/Patient studies, adaptive design studies, biomarker development, companion diagnostics, mechanism of action studies.
· Subspecialty medical training in Oncology, Gastroenterology/Hepatology or Rheumatology is preferred but not required.
· Demonstrated supervisory and/or leadership experience with clinical and/or research teams is required
· Ability to function at the interface of both the Discovery and Development teams, with the aim of providing the successful implementation of stratification strategies, clinical biomarker and pharmacodynamic assays in the early clinical studies.
· Experience in leading innovative efforts to deploy technologies and assays for enhanced translational capabilities.
· Superior leadership, management and organizational skills, and a reputation as an open, available and transparent communicator..
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, employee stock purchase program participation, 401(k) and a comprehensive, industry-leading, benefits package.
Interested applicants should click "Apply"
We have become aware of false offers of employment being made by individuals impersonating NGM representatives in order to collect personal information and/or payment. Please exercise caution when receiving unsolicited recruiting offers. NGM always lists all open positions on the NGM careers page and all employment applications must be submitted through our online portal. NGM will never solicit payment or payment information from candidates. Please be advised that NGM is not currently hiring in any countries other than the US. We never request that candidate information be sent to a non-ngmbio.com email address.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency résumés. NGM Bio is not responsible for any fees related to résumés that are unsolicited.