Sr. Scientist (Research)
As a key senior member of our research group, the candidate will be responsible for driving the discovery of novel small molecule inhibitors and investigating their mechanism of action in support of our research programs, with a focus on inflammation and autoimmunity.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Evaluate small molecule drug candidates in a range of cell-based and biochemical assays including planning and performing experiments, analyzing data and communicating results
- Develop new assays relevant to therapeutic targets of interest. Read the literature and gain a solid understanding of the biology of Rigel’s preclinical targets. Develop assays relevant to the target that will aide in lead candidate selection and/or broader understanding of the therapeutic potential of small molecule inhibitors
- Design and run studies to fully characterize the mechanism of action of inhibitors
- Identify and develop biomarker assays for early clinical trials
- Potential to lead a project including managing compound screening flow, communicating results to other functional areas and managing project team
- Support organization of lab and equipment as needed
- Attend scientific conferences
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- PhD with research experience in the field of immunology, autoimmune diseases, cell signaling pathways, molecular biology or biochemistry
- 5+ years of industry experience with drug development in biotech/pharmaceutical setting
- Demonstrated technical proficiency, ability to troubleshoot to solve problems and to deliver high quality data
- Demonstrated scientific creativity and ability to work independently and in a cross-functional team environment
- Proficiency in primary cell isolation and culture, basic protein characterization methods, ELISA, Luminex, and Flow Cytometry preferred
- Experience with imaging or immunohistochemistry would be a plus
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and can thrive in a highly collaborative research environment
- Highly motivated with high degree of professional integrity and strong work ethic
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk; sit; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Some travel may be required.
Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by the law.