Director/Senior Director, Program Lead
Magenta Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing therapeutics to reset the immune system to cure more patients with devastating and life-threatening diseases. This immune reset approach can be applied through stem cell transplant to multiple diseases, including autoimmune diseases, such as multiple sclerosis and systemic sclerosis; blood cancers, such as acute myeloid leukemia; and genetic diseases, such as sickle cell disease.
Magenta's comprehensive approach to precision immune system reset will transform many aspects of the transplant process, aiming to make it safer and more effective. Our culture is fueled by a driven, passionate group of people committed to making a difference, seizing opportunities for maximum impact, and pursuing progress for the patients we seek to serve.
Magenta is seeking highly motivated individuals with a proven track record of success and strategic team leadership to fill key Program Lead ("PL") roles in the cell transplant field for our clinical and near-clinical programs. The PL for our MGTA-117 targeted stem cell conditioning program will lead, along with critical team members, MGTA-117 (e.g. Hematologic Malignancies, gene therapy, and other related diseases), serving effectively as a CEO for the program. The PL will participate in key strategic decisions in support of Magenta's overall business strategy to develop stem cell transplant therapies. The PL for MGTA-117 will be accountable to senior management (e.g., Chief Medical Officer, Chief Scientific Officer, Head of Portfolio and Business) and the senior management team for advancing MGTA-117 and for maximizing the value of projects within his/her areas of responsibility.
You are perfect for this role if you are engaged by and want to be responsible for:
- Driving one or more programs and leading the Program Core Team(s). As collaboration across a matrixed organization is essential for the success of the program, the PL is responsible for ensuring that relevant functions are represented on the Program Core Team and that key stakeholders are kept up to date on relevant information about the program(s).
- Leading and managing both the preparation and communication of relevant updates of the Project and presenting the Development Strategy and updates to multiple stakeholders including the Executive Leadership Team, Scientific Advisory Board, and the Board of Directors.
- Ensuring that Clinical Development Plans/Strategy and Regulatory Plans/Strategy are prepared and are aligned with the TPP and the overall Asset Strategy.
- Assuming ownership of project recommendations between stages of the program to achieve project deliverables and timelines.
- Conducting continuous project risk assessment and implements appropriate mitigations.
- Ensuring that deviations from the approved project strategy, timelines or resource allocations are assessed, mitigated and communicated. This includes changes internally or externally leading to new or changed project risks.
- The PL is accountable for the project budget including projecting/monitoring of current and future cost.
- Partnering with the Program Core Team in developing project deliverables. The PL is responsible for regular updates to senior management on project progress and for management of project resources.
- Participating in business development evaluations, as relevant and being actively involved in due diligence. The PL is responsible for ensuring that integration of new projects, in-licensed or partnered, and allocated to the PL, progresses according to plan and risks affecting resources or timelines are assessed and mitigated. This includes ensuring the establishment of optimal working relations with the partner and building a cross-functional Program Team (PT).
- Presenting the PT endorsed asset strategy and plans for approval at the program's staged reviews
We would be thrilled if you brought the following with you:
- Substantial (10+ years) medical, scientific, and general business experience which should include 3-5 years' experience leading high complexity cross-functional projects; Advanced degree is preferred (e.g. PhD, PharmD, MD)
- Cellular therapy/hematology/oncology/transplant/immunology experience is preferred
- Phase I-III experience is required
- Proven pharmaceutical / biotech cross-functional experience is required. Line management is preferred and cross-national management experience will be ideal
- Experience working with business development, commercial and medical affairs organizations is preferred; understanding of regional issues from a payer base would be a plus
- Business planning skills - knowledge/experience with project planning tools and processes
- Demonstrated ability to effectively develop, communicate and gain support for strategic plans with a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills - experience with either top level biotech/pharma management presentations and fluency in written and spoken English
- Ability to lead by example and to create high performance teams, building on people's strengths and facilitating the development of team direction promoting open dialogue, collaboration and cross-pollination amongst team members enabling them to rely upon and work well with each other
- Passionate about drug development; open to change; adaptable
- Ability to share the team vision while maintaining a link to operational targets
- Ability to support individuals to improve their current performance and future potential by providing coaching and development opportunities; capable of encouraging business improvement and growth by ensuring staff are positive about change and continuously looking to improve themselves and their work methods
- Appreciation and understanding of the business benefit of individual differences; ability to deal effectively with people from diverse professional, cultural background
- Seeks to win support from others within and outside the Company to advance the Company's objectives, using, e.g., reasoning, persuasive arguments, and networking
- Has good awareness of own strengths, limitations and development needs and applies this to optimize performance and relationships
- Demonstrated ability to creatively analyze business problems/issues to reach innovative, cost-effective and timely decisions
Successful leaders and contributors within Magenta are:
- Driven. You will be focused on the achievement of Magenta's mission and major corporate goals.
- Results-focused. Demonstrated record of exceeding stretch goals, and willing to bring creative problem-solving skills to challenges along the way
- Intuitive. You will enjoy learning and being involved in the content of our whole business, thriving on a very fast-paced and growing business
- Collaborative. You will have demonstrated the ability to achieve objectives across complex projects and organizational structures
- Process-oriented, yet flexible. You will appreciate and be able to create and drive process, while also recognizing when flexibility is needed.
- Transparent and Articulate. You will have the ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all stakeholders
- Independent. You will be able to self-organize and operate effectively without significant day-to-day oversight, while staying tightly connected to key leaders and teams across the company
- A role model for the company's cultural pillars; Courage, Commitment & Excellence
At Magenta, we celebrate our differences. We value the power of a diverse array of folks who bring all of themselves to their work. We embrace cultural, cognitive, social, and professional diversity because we know the only way we're going to make new cures possible is by working together.