Virtualization and Micro-segmentation Engineer
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
Technical expert that will independently identify, engineer, and optimize new data, software, or technology solutions that address critical business needs. Continuously seek to improve existing methods and processes. Read and adapt literature and publicly available information to accomplish assignments. Demonstrate proficiency in a broad range of techniques and methods for information technology engineering, including software development, data warehousing, statistics, machine learning, and/or technology infrastructure (including servers, storage, network connectivity, and virtualization/cloud environments).
The focus of this position will be VMware virtualization and micro-segmentation technologies.
- Partner with existing team to review current implementation of VMware NSX and associated VMware components.
- (1) Develop business cases for AND (2) initial design of additional VMware components we own but have not yet implemented.
- Participate in business-as-usual projects to capture micro-segmentation related information.
- VMware virtualization operations / engineering: 3-5 years
- Server operating system operations/ engineering (either Microsoft Windows or UNIX/Linux): 1-2 years preferred (but not required)
- Micro-segmentation or border security (i.e., firewall, IPS/IDS) operations / engineering: 1-2 years preferred (but not required)
- Understand the broad objectives of the project as well as his/her role in achieving those objectives, and modify approach when required. Escalates open issues to ensure execution success and keeps stakeholders informed through effective verbal and written communication.
- Learn, understand and master new methods and technologies, and act as a resource or mentor for others.
- Effectively organize and present project objectives and progress. Contribute to technical publications and presentations.
- Obtain estimates/quotes from vendors and provide as input into overall project time and cost estimates.
- Maintains relationships with affiliates, subsidiaries, and vendors in accordance with Abbvie Values, Vendor Management Office, and Purchasing to further the mission, vision and goals of the organization.
- Produces and maintains required technical documentation associated with work product.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies, including code of conduct, safety, GxP compliance, data security, and the software development lifecycle.
- Bachelors degree in relevant field and at least 7 years relevant experience OR Masters degree in relevant field and at least 5 years experience.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.