Manager, Global Medical Communication
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
Responsible for providing complex medical information for the assigned therapeutic area(s). This includes developing, maintaining and using product/disease state subject matter expertise to respond to medical information inquiries escalated from affiliate and medical information call center staff, and managing the development, approval, and maintenance of global and region-specific medical/technical global core content (GCC) documents used for product inquiries from internal customers such as country affiliate staff, and from external customers including healthcare professionals (e.g., External Experts, physicians, pharmacists, nurses, etc.) and consumers.
• Provides timely and accurate development of up to 60% of time on global core content, summarizes clinical guidelines, and assists in the development/approval of Data on File in accordance with established policies and practice standards. Ensures content conveys a clear and appropriate medical message. Provides review and approval of medical content, including complex and sensitive information. Ensures compliance with regulatory and corporate requirements.
• Represents AbbVie Medical Information at global and key scientific conferences, as required.
• Able to evaluate data, and maintain an in-depth understanding of product knowledge, associated disease states, treatment guidelines, labeling, and relevant internal data for assigned therapeutic area.
• May serve as an active member of Global and/or Area/Local Medical Affairs and/or commercial teams for products with limited complexity and/or indications. May receive direction from more senior members of medical information.
• May partner with internal colleagues (Brand Teams, Hub management, Global/Regional TA Leads, Area/Regional medical) to ensure creation of relevant core content to meet customer needs.
• Assists in providing solutions to deliver medical information to customers in unique and innovative ways (e.g. SMS, video, podcast). Commercially aware of the needs of internal and external customers.
• Critically evaluates literature, interprets complex data, and adapts delivery of information to a variety of audiences.
• Identify global medical information insights based on Medical Information inquiries and partner with cross-functional colleagues to identify scientific gaps and strategic solutions.
• Assist in the development and delivery of core content and general medical information training.
• Bachelor's degree in Nursing, PA, Pharmacy, PhD in Health Sciences, or MD/DO program. Advanced degree preferred. Achieved licensure for professional practice, if appropriate for field.
• 2+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry, 4+ years' experience in health care related field, or has participated in the AbbVie PDP program. Substantial understanding of relevant therapeutic area(s) required, with a basic understanding of how medical information content and communications supports AbbVie business needs. Drug Information residency preferred.
• Ability to coordinate and lead multidisciplinary and cross-divisional meetings. Must possess excellent interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills.
• Understanding of the legal and regulatory environment of pharmaceutical industry desired.
• Possesses strong team work attributes and cultural sensitivity.
• Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills. Knowledge of a second language an advantage.
• Experience in providing innovative and unique solutions for delivery of medical information desired.
• Maintains expert understanding of product knowledge, labeling, and relevant data. Able to apply knowledge across multiple therapeutic areas.
• Solid clinical understanding of disease states and the implications of treatment. Strong knowledge of clinical trial methodology, statistical concepts, and independent evaluation and interpretation of complex literature.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.