Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Octave Bioscience is developing a suite of novel measurement tools that feed into structured analytical data models aimed at improving care management decisions to create better patient outcomes at lower costs. We are focusing our efforts on neurodegenerative disease, starting with multiple sclerosis (MS), to bring direct, positive impact to people’s lives. We have a CAP Accredited Laboratory and have developed a hybrid immunoassay-qPCR test for deployment as a Laboratory Developed Test.
The Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) will be responsible for performing moderate and high complexity laboratory testing on patient specimens, performing quality control and quality assurance procedures, analyzing data, interpreting results, and complying with all applicable local, state, and federal laboratory requirements. The work requires keeping meticulous and organized records, excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal communication skills, ability to multitask, be flexible with schedules, and work both independently and in a team environment to deliver high quality results in the most efficient manner.
- Perform moderate and high complexity laboratory tests according to approved policies and procedures for all phases of testing; pre-analytic, analytic, and post-analytical.
- Follow the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
- Maintain records that demonstrate proficiency testing samples are successfully tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
- Adhere to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed.
- Follow the laboratory's established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance.
- Being proactive in identifying issues that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and working directly with the general supervisor, technical supervisor, clinical consultant, or director to troubleshoot and implement process improvements.
- Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications.
- Participating in instrument validations, proficiency testing and quality assurance activities.
- Develop and/or revise laboratory documents including policies, procedures, and forms.
- Participate in cross-functional teams responsible for securing CLIA certification, CAP accreditation, and state licensure for the Octave Clinical Laboratory, including compliance with all applicable standards and regulations.
- Assisting the technical supervisor in method-verification studies and validation of laboratory-developed tests.
- Participating in the monitoring of the inventory of clinical laboratory supplies and materials.
- Providing direct and constant supervision of laboratory assistants.
- Comply with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations governing clinical laboratory operations including maintaining confidentiality of personal health information (PHI).
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science in Biomedical Laboratory Science, Clinical Science, or related field.
- Must possess a current California Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Generalist) license.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience in a clinical laboratory setting; preferably with experience in a high complexity molecular testing environment.
- Experience in immunoassay techniques preferred.
- The ability to accurately pipette in plate-based assays.
- Flexibility of work schedule to meet the needs of Octave’s Clinical Laboratory.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills, such as word processing, data analysis, and laboratory information systems (LIMS).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong understanding and adherence to good laboratory practices and regulatory compliance.
- Strong data analysis skills, ability to interpret and draw conclusions from vast amounts of data.
- Detail oriented and able to exercise independent judgment.
Octave offers a balanced and flexible working environment. Our offices are located in Menlo Park, surrounded by life science innovators (e.g. Grail) and tech innovators (e.g. Facebook). Our space is newly built to our specifications: open, with an old factory vibe, and is well-appointed, with free drinks and snacks. We offer a choice of health, dental, and vision plans. World class gym 100 feet away with pool. Close to many commute options.
Employment type: Full-time preferred