Chief Financial Officer
Ambrx Inc., is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing Precision Biologics using an expanded genetic code. Ambrx technology uses an expanded genetic code to incorporate synthetic amino acids into protein, all completed within a living cell. These synthetic amino acids enable the creation of Precision Biologics, an exciting new class of therapeutics with broad application and potential. This includes next-generation antibody drug conjugates (ADCs), bispecifics, and targeted immuno-oncology therapies for cancer as well as smart cytokines to modulate the immune system, and long-acting therapeutic peptides for metabolic and cardiovascular disease.
The company has built a strong oncology portfolio with over 8 NMEs in clinical and pre-clinical stages of development. In addition, the company has strategic partnerships with BMS, Astella, and Beigene in other therapeutic areas that leverage its expanded genetic code technology. To fund its ambition portfolio goals, the company just closed a $200M crossover round in November 2020 with top tier investors such as Fidelity, BlackRock, Cormorant, HBM, Invus, Adage and Suvrettea. The company is well-positioned for a potential IPO in the near future.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) reporting to the CEO and Chairman, serves as a key strategic thought partner to the CEO and senior team, as well a leader with external constituents. He/she will be responsible for working with the CEO and Board of Directors (BOD) to develop and execute the financial strategy and operations that support the Company’s business objectives and plans. The CFO will also play a lead role in positioning the Company to investors and provide input and perspective on all significant business decisions. The CFO will be a strong voice in the setting of strategic and operating plans.
The CFO will lead the Company’s financial operations and ensure that the company, leadership team, and the board have a clear understanding of operating performance and risks as it relates to all budgeted and forecasted goals. The CFO will be responsible for all finance functions, including financial and expense projections, fundraising, investor relations, deal analysis, procurement, financial reporting, compliance, controls, budgeting, pricing, tax and treasury.
A major initial focus of the CFO is to build a finance team to prepare the company to go public in the near future.
- Contribute actively to the development and execution of the company’s strategic and business plans. Work closely with the senior management team and BOD to evaluate company portfolio and operations, maintaining and improving financial flexibility and enhancing the company’s overall financial position.
- Serve as a key spokesperson for the company to the investment community, ensuring transparency in communications, while positioning the company in a compelling way to current and prospective investors.
- Lead, manage and direct all financial affairs of the company including: financial planning, forecasting and budgeting, treasury, tax, audit, regulatory filings and compliance, finance operations including accounts payable, internal control and timely close of financial reporting each month. Also, ensure the integrity and compliance of all financial and regulatory reporting, controls, systems, policies, and procedures.
- Provide overall leadership to the management reporting, financial planning, and budgeting processes. Lead efforts to improve the analytical rigor of the finance team so that business decisions throughout the organization are informed by analytical insight.
- Interface directly with the Board and Audit Committee of the Board, ensuring they have a clear sense of the overall financial health and potential risk areas of the company. Maintain prudent risk policies and exposures and establish balance sheet management and forecasting discipline.
- Prepare Ambrx to go public
- Strong finance-based analytical skills with experience in strategic planning, 15+ years of finance experience, of which at least ten (10) years are of senior financial leadership experience and at least three (3) years as Chief Financial Officer.
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or related is required. CFA, CPA, MBA or a related postgraduate business degree is preferred
- Ability to prepare for a successful IPO in the biopharma industry
- A demonstrated track record of serving as a business partner to the CEO, the board, and the senior leadership team to influence business decisions. Proven ability to work with his/her peers across all functions are essential
- Must have the highest level of integrity, a strong work ethic and a high degree of professionalism working within a diverse workforce
- Strategic thinker, with the ability to implement new ideas and opportunities aligned with the company’s long-term strategic objectives
- Solution-oriented with the ability to manage and adapt to rapid change
- Must have solid experience executing long-range capital acquisition strategy in the biopharma industry
- Strong financial management skills, understanding of GAAP accounting practices and standards
- Experience developing, evaluating and implementing operational processes (e.g. procurement, time-tracking)
- Ability to interpret and communicate complex financial data concisely to a range of different audiences, including: the leadership team, the Board of Directors, and the investor community
- Demonstrated ability to manage investor relations
To be considered as an applicant, please submit your resume/CV referencing the specific position of interest and position code. Applicants whose qualifications and experience most closely match the requirements of the position will be reviewed. Candidates will only be contacted for evaluative discussions. Ambrx offers competitive compensation & benefits.