Scientific Associate II (TD Purification)
With operations in 35+ nations and ~27,000 employees worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation and burn treatment.
CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL Behring operates CSL Plasma, one of the world's largest collectors of human plasma, which is used to create CSL's therapies. Seqirus is one of the largest influenza vaccine companies in the world and is a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.
We invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities available around the globe and consider building your promising future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!
The person in this role will support TD downstream projects including developing, defining, and implementing purification processes, driving continuous improvements, and providing commercial support for influenza vaccines.
- Partner with diverse team members from various functions, countries and members at various levels in the organization.
- Solve complex problems using analytical thinking gained through formal education and/or previous roles.
- Both independently and collaboratively design and execute small scale experiments to characterize and define bioprocess steps.
- Independently operate small scale bioprocess equipment including TFF, NFF, centrifugation, and column chromatography systems.
- Provides on-going support on projects of varying size often under tight deadlines, including guidance to others as needed, applying knowledge of broader project objectives to provide input that furthers project success.
- Perform in-process analytics to characterize/quantify vaccine antigens and impurities.
- Understand and interpret experimental data and results to support decisions and definition / knowledge of purification processes.
- Understand and apply bioprocess scale-up strategies.
- Prepare technology development study protocols and reports in support of process transfer and regulatory documents
- Communicate (presentations, write-up in technical documents, etc.) results to colleagues, project teams, management and external partners.
- Be accountable for developing own self to enhance contribution.
- Function effectively as a core team member.
Bachelor's Degree in related scientific or engineering field with 3+ years related experience or Master's Degree in related scientific field with 0+ years related experience
- Knowledge of bioprocess unit operations (e.g. chromatography, centrifugation, precipitation, TFF and NFF filtration) and engineering scaling principles
- Understanding/experience with protein biochemistry and/or nucleic acids
- Experience with GE AKTA chromatography systems/Unicorn software and lab/pilot scale TFF systems is desired
- Demonstrated knowledge of / expertise with analytical methods (e.g. SDS PAGE, Western Blot, HPLC, ELISA, Picogreen) is a plus
- Knowledge of and experience in application of statistical techniques such as Design of Experiments (DOE) is desired
- Knowledge of GLP/GMP preferred
- Ability to work with cross functional teams
- Strong communication skills, technical writing ability, and good attention to detail
- Must be a self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision