i2o Therapeutics is a biotech startup in Boston, MA developing a drug delivery platform to convert injectable therapies into oral modalities. We are hiring a Research Scientist to aid in the formulation of our novel oral products including biologics, small molecules and nucleic acids. This position will work within a small, multi-functional research team to move products from Discovery through Pre-clinical phases, and support CMC, clinical and IND activities.
The qualified candidate will possess state-of-the-art expertise related to formulation production theories, principles, methods and techniques for targeted delivery. They will be involved in planning and execution of developmental programs for a wide variety of pipeline products. They will keep up with the latest information about the trends, improvement methods, and functions of currently used pharmaceutical drugs. Primary responsibilities include:
- Formulation of orally delivered drugs for i2o and its strategic partners
- Executing appropriate investigational procedures that are pertinent to the reactions, composition, relationships, structure, and properties of the compounds and products
- Identifying new techniques, tools, and procedures to analyze formulations while making use of various methods such as titration, FT-IR, HPLC, etc., to identify the material and chemical characteristics of the formulation substances
- Supporting the development of products through CMC by preparing quality assurance documentation including formulation specifications
- Conducting in vitro and in vivo (small animal) studies to test formulations
PhD in pharmaceutical science, biological/chemical engineering, or a related field and at least one year of industry experience is preferred. The successful candidate will demonstrate in-depth knowledge about the basic and advanced concepts related to materials science and pharmaceutical development and familiarity with the pertinent analysis techniques. Experience in designing and conducting in vivo experiments is required. The ideal candidate is an independent worker and self-starter who is dependable, articulate, accurate, and mature. Flexibility and the ability to multi-task is key to working in a fast-paced and constantly evolving start-up environment. Solid written and verbal skills and the ability to maintain laboratory records are crucial. Strong teamwork, interpersonal and observational skills are required.
The successful candidate must be able to:
- Lift/push/pull up to 25 pounds
- Work safely with chemicals, drugs and standard laboratory equipment
- Wear protective clothing including masks and gloves