Overview of Company:
Equillium (www.equilliumbio.com) is a clinical stage biotech company (NASDAQ:EQ) focused on developing novel therapies for severe and life threatening autoimmune and inflammatory diseases. Equillium’s initial product candidate, itolizumab, is a clinical-stage, first-in-class monoclonal antibody that selectively targets the CD6-ALCAM pathway. This pathway plays a central role in modulating the activity and trafficking of T cells that drive a number of immuno-inflammatory diseases. Itolizumab is a clinically-validated therapeutic that has demonstrated a favorable safety and tolerability profile. Equillium acquired rights to itolizumab through an exclusive partnership with Biocon Limited. Biocon has recently reported results from a study of itolizumab in COVID-19 patients in India, and has subsequently received emergency use authorization from the Drugs Controller General in India for itolizumab for the treatment of cytokine release syndrome (CRS) in COVID-19 patients with moderate to severe acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS). Equillium believes that itolizumab has the potential to be a best-in-class disease modifying therapeutic and is developing itolizumab in multiple severe immuno-inflammatory disorders – acute graft-versus-host disease, uncontrolled asthma, and lupus nephritis – and is planning to submit an IND for the treatment of COVID-19 patients.
Overview of Position:
The Scientist will be an integral part of our research team working on pre-clinical development programs with a focus on immune cell biology in response to targeted therapeutics. The individual will provide technical and scientific expertise in efforts to understand drug dependent immune responses. The successful incumbent will have extensive hands on experience with standard immunological and biology techniques (Flow cytometry, ELISA-based techniques, primary immune cell culture, T cell activation, etc.). The Scientist will be responsible for internal research efforts related to pre-clinical and characterization.
This position is hands-on and requires the effective communication and documentation of results. Ideal applicants will be able to work both independently and collaboratively, self-motivated, possess excellent communication and organizational skills, and carry a strong commitment to excellence.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Internal Scientific Duties
- Performs a variety of laboratory procedures, including cell-based and biochemical assays, using both new and established methods and techniques
- Conducts experiments and data analyses, and interprets results
- Assist in upkeep of a small laboratory
- Design experiments to address both mechanistic and disease-based questions and hypotheses
- Organize and maintain data files and reports
- Conduct literature reviews and attend seminars to keep up-to-date on topics relevant to research at Equillium
- Communicate results at research and cross-functional meetings
External Scientific Duties
- Provide input on study designs to be performed with external CROs and academic collaborations.
- PhD and 1-3+ years postdoctoral training in immunology or a related field
- Proven ability to make important contributions in immunology or related fields
- Current knowledge of research, drug discovery and development, with emphasis on immune cell activation, checkpoint, and exhaustion pathways
- Proven track record of success demonstrated by training from top research universities with first author papers in high impact journals and presentations at scientific conferences
- Knowledge of the molecular pathways involved in the activation of the innate and/or adaptive immune response
- Proficiency in the culture of human primary immune cells (mainly T cells and PBMCs)
- Proven experience with immune cell activation
- Experience with multi-color flow cytometry, molecular biology techniques (PCR, cloning etc.)
- Experience with both ELISA-based assays and multiplex cytokine assays (Luminex, MSD and/or CBA
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Be an effective team player and strong individual contributor, flexible, and able to handle multiple tasks and deliver high quality results under tight timelines
Skills and Attributes:
- Design, conduct, interpret, and report laboratory experiments on a daily basis
- Interpretation, presentation, and detailed documentation of experiments within a lab notebook as well as preparation of reports.
- Help manage internal laboratory activities under tight timelines
- Develop and follow standard operating procedures
- Conduct multiple research activities in parallel
- Help identify and prioritize high impact research activities
- Keep up with published literature directly relevant to the Equillium programs
- Must have strong communication skills as evidenced in public presentations and/or peer reviewed literature.
- Must have effective troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Success in this role requires high attention to detail with the ability to multi-task
- Must be an effective team player, strong individual contributor, self-motivated, flexible, and able to handle multiple tasks and deliver high quality results under tight timelines
- Highly organized and diligent about documentation is required and cannot be overstated
Equal Opportunity Employer