Senior Systems Engineer
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
We are looking for a System Engineer to assist the Linux System Architects with day to day running of the Linux infrastructure and be part of the growing global Scientific Linux team. You should have a very good general knowledge of most Linux systems and be able to manage Linux-based high-performance computing. You should have skills in, Docker design and deployment, common pipeline programming platforms, and cloud computing. You will assist the group in developing systems automation and be competent at, ansible, shell scripting, and understand YAML files. You will be able to work in a team located around AbbVie over multiple time zones to provide cross-discipline expertise, across a wide variety of disciplines.
- Help coordinate the team's effort to stay compliment with applicable corporate and divisional policies and procedures while driving security and agile focused change where needed.
- Facilitate monthly patching and monitor for vulnerabilities between patch windows to keep the environment secure.
- Collaborate to achieve new innovative Linux-based high-performance computing platforms that support containers, and common pipeline programming platforms that can be comprised of on-premise compute, container as a service, and cloud computing, to meet Bioinformatics and scientific data analysis requirements. Successfully negotiates technical design and deployment strategy with clients at multiple locations.
- Collaborate on the creation of ansible automation scripts for deployment on our infrastructure and applications. Create the scripts in a way that they can be shared across AbbVie and reused by other teams.
- Be able to work on multiple projects and deadlines at the same time while working to increase the team's exposure around the R&D community.
- Required: At least 6 years' experience in computing field or bio tech industry with bachelor's degree or 5 years' experience with a master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Bioinformatics, or another related field.
- You will need to have experience using the cli and knowledge of some of the following Linux flavors: RHEL, CentOS, SLES, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu. Docker knowledge is also a must. You will show basic knowledge of Kubernetes with either deployment or system administration of this platform, Linux systems integrations (Active Directory, SMB, NFS, file share access and permissions), platform tuning, code tuning, and systems management (ssh, security, crontabs, etc.). Administration level knowledge of applications such as Jira, Atlassian, Bitbucket, Jenkins, Gitlab, Slack and more. A basic understanding of R and python to help understand the computational scientists is a bonus. Ability to create and manage Jenkins workflows. Knowledge of agile theories is a bonus.
- Demonstrates a strong customer-centric approach, and empathy for locational cultural differences, and excellent communications skills.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.