In-Vivo Science Associate III
Envision working with energetic colleagues and inspirational leaders. Now, place yourself in that mix; leading discussions, asking the right questions and driving results.
What Your New Manager Wants You To Know
Provide standard veterinary technical support for the departmental program of veterinary care. This will include monitoring the health and welfare of all research animals, providing necessary treatment, preventative maintenance, care, enrichment, record keeping, and participation in the rodent health surveillance program. Aid in the development of core veterinary technical skills to enhance in-house research studies. Work independently on weekends or holidays. Assist in the maintenance of the Program of Veterinary Care within the USDA, AAALAC and other governing agency guidelines and requirements. Assist research personnel in conducting research studies and assist in the education and training of other animal research staff members. Assist the clinical veterinarian with development of animal models and collaborative research efforts. Provides backup supervisory support of husbandry personnel and support of facility operations.
YOU ARE more than just a title, YOU ARE...
First class team player : collaborate across multiple disciplines to ensure compliance and ability to influence cross-functional teams and senior leadership.
Y ou Will
- Conduct health observations of all laboratory animals located in the vivarium on a daily basis in addition to some weekends and holidays. Discuss health observations with the Clinical Veterinarian and other members of the veterinary staff, correspond with the Principal Investigator and their research team, follow up on the decided treatment plan. Conduct and oversee clinical treatments, routine diagnostic procedures, and prophylactic treatment of the research animals. Complete the necessary documentation of activities as defined in the departmental guidelines, policies and SOPs, the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals (ILAR) and USDA laws.
- Maintain and manage individual health records for all dogs, and primates housed in the vivarium colony. Maintain quarantine records for incoming animals and inspect newly arrived animals. Assist with all USDA, county and state mandatory documentation, vaccinations, TB tests, etc. Ensure that all vaccinations and other veterinary tests are carried out according to current veterinary standards and done on an appropriate schedule. Assist with the management of the Rodent Health Surveillance Program.
- Provide veterinary technical core support to the R&D efforts and participate in the development of unique services that will elevate the level of in-house expertise and quality of AbbVie's animal research efforts. Disseminate and maintain information (anesthetics, analgesics, and surgical procedures) to expedite and improve early drug discovery and development efforts and give advice on laboratory animal related procedures. Oversee surgical procedures and pre and post-operative care. Assist AbbVie researchers in conducting their in vivo studies.
- Manage the socialization/enrichment daily activities for the various species housed in the vivarium. Participate with the team that evaluates the effectiveness of the program and contribute to the continuing development of the program. Provide innovative approaches to improving animal welfare and develop methods to measure success.
- Provide back up support for supervision of vivarium husbandry staff and animal facility operations, including organizing workload, assigning tasks, and allocation of resources. Maintain business continuity to ensure that vivarium areas conform to federal and AAALAC standards at all times and are inspection ready.
- Provide assistance to the Clinical Veterinarian with development of animal models and in participation of collaborative research efforts with AbbVie Research Scientists.
- BS, BA and 5 years veterinary technical experience or AHT and 4-7 equivalent veterinary technical experience.
- Certification by AALAS at the LATG level desirable.
- Multi-species including non-human primates and experience in a regulated environment preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience.
In this role, we're looking for a leader who will :
- Act as an Owner
- Be Excellence Focused
- Act as an Influencer
Equal Employment Opportunity
At Allergan, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.