Senior Controller, R&D
Senior Controller, R&D
Ipsen Bioscience, Inc.
Do you have Finance Controller experience in an R&D organization?
As the Senior Controller, R&D at Ipsen, you will be responsible for the Rare Disease asset activities conducted out of Montreal, Newton, Cambridge and Boulogne sites, and will play a role in R&D process standardization. You will be the finance business partner for Rare Disease Therapeutic Area (TA) leaders. You will work closely with the Director R&D Finance Controller, Project Controlling TA Rare Diseases based in Cambridge and with the Global R&D global controlling team in the UK and France, ensuring that the controlling of the finances are within the framework of the Company, Group accounting and global R&D policies, procedures and internal controls. You will work to ensure appropriate, accurate and timely financials, management of accounts and that reports are prepared for R&D and the global understanding and control of the projects/activities you support.
As the primary interface between the TA Controllers for R&D, ensure effective communication on global functional and projects and Montreal requirements, constraints and deviations. You will be the dedicated controller on potential new assets in Rare Disease. This role will serve as the direct R&D finance business partner for TA Leaders in Montreal, including responsibility for Budgeting / Forecasting and Financial Analysis. You also lead the local implementation of financial processes (in coordination with shared services) as well as new global R&D processes/optimizations including clinical trial accounting and supporting portfolio and program valuations with the rest of the R&D Finance team. This position requires broad financial analysis as well as a deep understanding of R&D project activities and standard GO/NO GO decision making in R&D.
- Portfolio Finance - Leads R&D finance requirements for portfolio strategy planning and prioritization. Partners with Project Core team to strengthen program and portfolio visibility of financials in support of Portfolio Strategy and Program Governance. Ensures robust R&D financial information is provided for portfolio prioritization and at relevant governance forums. Provides robust and timely portfolio financial information to the Senior leadership team to support visibility of project and portfolio performance in line with plan; including preparation of portfolio analysis requirements for the annual Portfolio Prioritization Process. Partners and support Project Core team, supporting improved visibility of development program cost drivers and portfolio phase reporting. Partnering with local functions and Project Leaders and key project stakeholders to consolidate and provide visibility to R&D Finance with management on full structure costs/investments, across all functions, within Montreal, by indication, by phase and over years. Understand the status and risks with all project activities and quantifying investments until next decision-making step. Challenge and provide realistic estimates, ensure no contingency planning. Identifying, with Montreal based business partners, parameters affecting the financial forecast (timing, probability of success). Presents factual results for presentation & communication to Director, Project Controller Rare Disease TA, VP R&D Finance and to local TA Leaders
- Business Planning - lead Program Development forecasting, annual budgeting and long-range planning processes. Work with internal stakeholders to create robust functional financial plans. Provide variance reporting for budget management. Work with leadership teams to suggest ways to prioritize spend to within target. Provide Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) and decision support analytics including the long-range plan (5YP), annual budget and quarterly forecasts/landing exercise.
- Monthly Close Activities - prepare Program Development journal entries and provide monthly variance analysis commentary. Responsible for Program Development month-end/quarter-end close, including creation of journal entries, account reconciliations and variance analysis. Ensure compliance with IFRS requirements and ISPEN accounting policy and procedures. Maintain control of key areas of balance sheet and support external audit
- Responsible for Clinical Trial accounting for several high profile, high visibility trials. Work closely with clinical teams to accurately accrue for clinical trial fees and services. Support budgeting and forecasting for functions and project activities. Coordinate with NA Shared Services for monthly financial reporting and analysis. Interpret results for presentation & communication to Director, Project Controller Rare Disease TA in order to consolidate key messages and issues for Global R&D senior management for capital expenditures and operating expenditures by nature and by project. Collaborates with key stakeholders to control site related costs, site senior management and identify opportunities for improving budget allocation and cost containment. Once all activities transferred to NA Shares Services and the regulatory filing is complete, this position will ensure roll-out of K2 roles and responsibility ensuring the business owns the process and not Finance. Perform the reporting to Director, Project Controller Rare Disease TA, identify opportunities for improvement of the process and implement solutions
- Program Team Finance Lead - finance lead for certain cross-functional development program teams. Attend regular program team meetings and provide ongoing support, reporting and strategic analysis to Project Core Team/Asset Development Lead
- Ad-hoc financial projects as assigned
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent verbal, written, and communication skills to effectively present information to various levels of an organization
- Ability to work cross-functionally and collaboratively to influence decision-making
- Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), TM1 & SAP user capabilities a plus
- Ability to successfully prioritize and manage multiple tasks while adhering to specific deadlines
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to handle confidential information in an appropriate manner
- Strong interpersonal savvy and influence skills with the ability to interact with senior leaders of the organization with poise and impact.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Experience and Education
- Bachelor's Degree in a financial related field
- 8 years of Financial Analysis / Planning experience, in long term project environment
- Experience managing and controlling larger clinical portfolios
- Therapeutic drug valuations
- Knowledge of Pharmaceutical Industry highly preferred
- International exposure
- Must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment, and be willing to work extended hours and travel as required
If this sounds like an exciting opportunity to exercise your finance controlling experience in a global R&D environment, apply today!
IPSEN is an equal opportunity employer that strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to an individual's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.","datePosted":"2020-11-03T00:00:00.000Z