Senior Manager, Data Engineering
As a member of Avanir's Information Technology (IT) team, the Senior Manager Data Engineering will bring a broad range of analytical, technical and architecture skills to Avanir's evolving data landscape, serving as a key technology leader in the accessibility, processing, integration and definition of our data assets in a fully integrated cloud environment. This individual will help ensure completion of our data priorities and road maps, innovating solutions and maturing our current data capabilities.
The Senior Manager Data Engineering will play a pivotal role in operationalizing the most-urgent needs for Avanir data and analytics initiatives. The bulk of the position's work will be in building, managing and optimizing data pipelines and then moving these data pipelines effectively into production for key data and analytics consumers (like data analysts or any person that needs curated data for data and analytics use cases).
This position will also need to ensure compliance with data governance and data security requirements while creating, improving and operationalizing these integrated and reusable data pipelines. This would enable faster data access, integrated data reuse and vastly improved time-to-solution for Avanir's data and analytics initiatives. The Senior Manager Data Engineering will be measured on their ability to integrate analytics and (or) data science results with Avanir's business processes to drive expected business results. This role will require both creative and collaborative work within IT, our data partners and the broader Avanir business teams. It will involve evangelizing effective data management practices and promoting better understanding of data and analytics applications.
Essential Job Functions:
- Serve as the IT owner for the Master Data Management (MDM) process within the Commercial Data Warehouse (CDW) for Healthcare Professionals, Healthcare Organizations, and other contact types which includes joint oversight of the data stewardship processes
- Own the Enterprise Data Model, integrate and develop Commercial data capabilities, including the Data Warehouse and any other data assets created to support future needs.
- Manage the day to day operations of contracted data aggregation and distribution partners as well as project partners
- Promote the available data and analytics capabilities within the Avanir Data Warehouse environment to business unit leaders and educate them in leveraging these capabilities to drive insights that help achieve their business goals
- Provide guidance and research in emerging technologies in business intelligence/ data management & build the foundation for future capabilities and automation requirements
- Partner with the Commercial Business Analytics & Insights team in the acquisition, prototyping and integration of commercial data sources into the CDW and any resulting restructure of the current data architecture
- Collaborate with a cross-functional team and external partners to monitor CDW data quality and integrity, identify data quality issues, execute remediation plans, implement data controls, and manage data quality remediation strategies.
- Document and collaboratively review the designs, code, test plans and dataset implementation efforts performed within Avanir IT in support of maintaining data engineering standards
- Build CI/CD pipeline, test-driven development approaches and production deployment frameworks
- Identify, promote, and execute new ways to save cost by streamlining data and Data Warehouse related processes and technical architecture
- Establish & optimize interfaces between the Data Warehouse, key business applications (Veeva, Expense reporting, etc.) and reporting tools (e.g., Tableau, Alteryx, etc.)
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or similar and 12+ years of experience working with data warehouse and data integration technologies.
- Experience with Snowflake, Cassandra, & other data technologies (Big Data & Conventional RDBMS, Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Redshift, etc.); experience implementing data engineering solutions for the same.
- Data warehouse infrastructure automation technologies, such as: Continuous Integration/ Delivery (CI/CD, Jenkins, Octopus Deploy, VSTS, TFS, etc.) and source control tools (SVN, Git)
- Experience with Master Data Services (MDS) and Master Data Management (MDM)
- Data and business application integration (experience integrating with SalesForce and Veeva preferred)
- Experience in AWS/Azure cloud along with pipeline platforms and languages such as DataStax, Scala, Java, and Python are preferred
- Understanding of cloud architecture, cloud data warehousing, MPP data warehousing, data lakes, and data virtualization
- Proficiency with MS Office applications and common web applications
- Ability to multitask effectively with critical assignments and prioritize competing demands effectively
- Ability to translate complex technical ideas to a business audience through effective communication skills (verbal and non-verbal)
- Core competencies for this role include:
- Adapt to Change - demonstrate Organizational Awareness, Self-Awareness, Proactivity and Learning Agility
- Work Collaboratively - embody Teamwork, influence without authority, and demonstrate Technical Expertise
- Apply Judgment - effectively leverage Prioritization, Problem Solving and Decision-Making skills to achieve superior results
This position primarily works in an office environment. It requires the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and frequent walking. Daily use of a computer, phone, office equipment and other computing and digital devices is required. May be required to stand for extended periods when facilitating meetings or walking in the facilities. Some local travel may be necessary, so the ability to travel by plane, operate a motor vehicle and maintain a valid Driver's license and/or effectively navigate public transportation is required. While performing the responsibilities of the job, the employee must be able to read and respond to interoffice communications as well as effectively participate in meetings. The employee is often required to sit and use their hands and fingers, to lift to 20 lbs., pull, push, carry, handle or feel. The employee is required to carry, handle items, reach with arms and hands, to stoop, kneel, or crouch; talk or hear. Mental demands may require prolonged concentration, reading comprehension, understanding and interpretation of concepts, ideas and philosophies. The physical demands of the position described herein are essential functions of the job and employees must be able to successfully perform these tasks for extended periods. Reasonable accommodations may be made for those individuals with real or perceived disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job described unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden.
While performing the responsibilities of the job, these work environment characteristics are representative of the environment the job holder will encounter. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job unless such accommodations would cause Avanir an undue burden. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving carts, mechanical equipment (copiers, computers, coffee machines) and vehicles. May be subject to smells and odors. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate. The passage of employees through the work area is average and normal.
As an equal opportunity employer, Avanir Pharmaceuticals is committed to providing all applicants and employees with equal access to employment opportunities, regardless of sex, race, age, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, pregnancy, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation transgender status, gender identity, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. All Avanir Pharmaceuticals employees, officers, principles, agents, and representatives are expressly prohibited from engaging in unlawful discrimination. Consistent with federal, state, and local requirements, Avanir Pharmaceuticals will reasonably accommodate any qualified individual with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to perform the essential functions or the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
Avanir Pharmaceuticals shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR-60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of protected veteran status or disability, and require affirmative action by covered prime contractors and subcontractors to employ and advance in employment qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.