Associate Director, Technical
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
The Associate Director position within the Science and Technology organization is responsible for technical leadership in the development and commercial implementation of fermentation processes. The scope of projects includes improvements on commercial products/processes as well as the tech transfer of processes from other sites to Abbvie. Experience in fermentation engineering and process development is essential. In this position, you are expected to lead projects and manage a team of scientists/engineers to meet the project deliverables.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Demonstrate technical expertise in microbial fermentation process development and scale up from pilot to commercial manufacturing for small molecule and/or protein/peptide products.
- Manage directly and through staff technical support (product and process expertise) of manufacturing operations for marketed products. This includes a range of activities, from development activities at lab or pilot scale, manufacturing problem solving, managing productivity targets and maintain quality/regulatory compliance.
- Technical leadership of Tech Transfer projects from internal or external customers.
- Advance scientific expertise within function. Proactively advises and shares knowledge and expert opinions with subordinates, peers, and senior management. Mentors and trains functional colleagues and assess current and emerging business challenges enabling functional goal achievement.
- Conceptualize and implement novel approaches using combinations of engineering and scientific principles.
- Established understanding of commercial manufacturing facility equipment and requirements to scale or transfer processes successfully.
- Identify and implement process changes to improve product quality, qualify new raw material suppliers, and/or reduce processing costs in the manufacturing of currently marketed products.
- Ensures quality and effectiveness of key results of major project plans within function through sound design, early risk assessments, and implementation of fallback strategies.
Biochemical engineering experience in the pharmaceutical API or fermentation related Industry with leadership responsibilities directing technical teams is required. Exhibits a thorough understanding of microbial fermentation derived APIs or similar products and a record of accomplishment in development and commercialization of marketed products. Understanding of cGMPs and marketing requirements related to API manufacturing.
The following combinations of education and experience are required:
- BS degree in Engineering or Life Sciences fields and 10+ years of experience; or
- MS and 8+ years of experience; or
- PhD and 6+ years of experience.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.