Specialty Portfolio Lead
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
The Medical Program Management (MPM) team focuses on driving performance through learning, technology, and the practice of innovation. The Medical Portfolio Lead serves as both a primary point of contact and strategic partner for Senior Therapeutic Area (TA) leadership and serves as the primary cross-functional operational contact/liaison to assure effective communication and alignment between the MATs within a TA, while also enhancing integration with Development, Brand Team (IBT/GBT), and MAT (USMAT/GMAT). The scope of this role is global, coordinating planning, tracking, and information flow from multiple organizations in support of a unified and comprehensive Therapeutic Area (TA) view across all brands/assets and MATs within that TA.
This position will support the HQ Neuroscience, HCV, Virology, and Mature Products TAs as well as L-AGN Botox Tx, CNS and Eyecare.
- Supports Global TA Head by directly interfacing with the various TA Leads, MAT's, MPM's, and cross-functional partners (Commercial (IBT/GBT), Development, GMA Evidence Generation Solutions, etc) to ensure a portfolio-wide (all brands/assets) view of the multiple teams strategic planning, ongoing activity, and risk mitigation.
- Drives TA Medical Affairs Team (MAT) operations ensuring they are efficient and effective across functional boundaries including cross-functional member engagement, performance, and accountability. Coordinates program management activities for TA in Global Medical Operations team (including Areas).
- Assures open communication and alignment on roles/responsibilities and deliverables for each asset supported by the TA. This includes all Tactics, including Evidence Generation, External Expert Insights and utilization, Medical Education, and other areas represented in the MAT.
- In partnership with Sr. TA Leader, drives strategic planning and execution across the TA portfolio ensuring appropriate prioritization and integration.
- Responsible for planning oversight for TA portfolio (all brands/assets and indications) including:
- LRP and Portfolio/Plan
- Key strategic initiatives/tactics
- Ensures TA portfolio activities are actively tracked and reported across all Areas, highlighting potential delays, risks, and providing mitigation plans.
- Partners with GMA Evidence Generation Solutions Lead to identify opportunities and challenges in timely data generation and works with teams to implement process improvements.
- Liaison between GMA, Area Medical Affairs, and US Affiliate MA, other brand members, Evidence Generation Solutions, Finance, Legal, and Clinical Supply etc. to ensure all are operationally aligned and focused on the same strategic goals.
- Stays connected with MA Field, ensuring appropriate MSL (Medical Science Liaison) and MOSL (Medical Outcomes Science Liaison) engagement.
- Assess TA portfolio-wide issues and develop solutions to ensure overall portfolio productivity, quality, and timelines are met within budget, involving other functional areas where appropriate. Identifies risks and communicates as needed. Actively seeks solutions and takes calculated risks where appropriate.
- Collects and communicates performance measures for MAT operation within TA. Monitors performance measures and takes appropriate actions when necessary. These measures include, but are not limited to, headcount, schedules, and budgets across multiple GMA functions and assets included in the TA.
- Manages Medical Program Managers (MPMs) aligned with Therapeutic Area, including all aspects of performance management.
- Without direct authority, integrates and manages cross-functional resources and information to achieve MAT deliverables. In cases of limited resources the Medical Portfolio Lead will partner with TA leadership to prioritize across programs where necessary.
- Contributes to the overall development of Medical Program Management, working to develop and improve the tools, templates and processes across all TAs. Works to navigate and anticipate upcoming planning processes and deliverables (e.g. LRP, Medical Planning). Mentors less experienced Medical Program Managers.
- Bachelor's Degree in a scientific or business related field is required.
- MBA Degree strongly preferred.
- Project management certification (e.g. PMP) and/or Lean Six Sigma Belt strongly preferred.
- Ability to think strategically and cross-functionally across TA portfolio to identify opportunities and make connections to advance business deliverables and impact
- Applied knowledge of program management tools and processes (e.g. management of integration, scope, time, cost, quality, human resources, communications, risk and procurement).
- Extensive experience with performance measurement and communication (e.g. metrics, dashboards).
- Demonstrated ability to lead without direct authority, ability to excel in a matrixed environment.
- At least 10 years of pharmaceutical experience.
- Experience should include at least 5 years of program management and/or process improvement related experience.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.