Sr. Director/TL, Field Medical, Gastroenterology East Team nMD
The Senior Director, Team Leader (TL) Gastroenterology East is responsible for managing and developing a team of Field Medical Directors (FMDs) in the designated therapeutic area in the Eastern United States within the Inflammation & Immunology Business Unit. As such, the TL plans, organizes, and monitors the FMD team activities to ensure alignment with the designated therapeutic area's medical affairs strategies and partners cross-functionally with NAMA and Global Medical Affairs, Global Health and Value, and clinical development (with approval of the FMD Lead) with the primary focus on the therapeutic area's in-line and late stage portfolio. The TL will also facilitate and manage the team's appropriate internal information sharing and coordination (e.g., with relevant U.S. commercial teams and across all regions) to ensure that they are conducted in compliance with both Pfizer and external policies, guidelines and regulations.
The TL's primary responsibility is to manage and develop a team of field-based medical professionals which include both Pfizer colleagues and contingent workers based across the United States that contribute to Pfizer's ability to (a) communicate new and other important approved medical content related to the safe and appropriate use of Pfizer medicines to health care professionals (HCPs) in local, regional, or national capacities (including therapeutic area HCP decision-makers at organized customers such as Medical Groups, Integrated Delivery Networks, Payers, etc.) and engage in other approved communications in accordance with approved FMD guidance; (b) provide truthful, accurate and scientifically supported information in response to direct unsolicited medical requests from health care professionals in a manner that complies with all applicable Pfizer guidelines, policies, and procedures; and (c) provide designated therapeutic area expertise for regional and other Medical Affairs and/or clinical development needs as approved by FMD leadership (e.g. formulary presentations; field force training, organized customer projects/collaborations, scientific congress participation, Pfizer-sponsored research site / investigator interactions, TA/product expertise for Pfizer-sponsored NIS, IIR inquiries etc.).
The Sr. Director, Team Leader will also work with the FMD Group Lead and NAMA and Global Brand Medical Affairs leadership under the Pfizer Glocal model, legal, medical information, and other cross-functional colleagues to be accountable for and lead the development and approval of medical content by the respective Medical Review Committee for use in the field to meet the medical needs for the designated therapeutic are in their region and to achieve the primary goal of conducting and enhancing medical communication between Pfizer and national, regional and local health care professionals (including therapeutic area HCPs at organized customers) in the respective therapeutic area relating to the safe and appropriate use of Pfizer medicines. The TL as a member of the respective FMD Leadership Team will also contribute to the development of a vision, strategic direction, and implementation plan regarding alignment of cross-functional engagement of customers within the Inflammation & Immunology Business Unit across the U.S. and ensure the FMD role and activities are aligned with Pfizer medical needs.
The Sr. Director, Team Leader has direct people management responsibilities as the manager of the designated FMD team.
- Responsible for leading, managing, developing and coaching FMD team members based across the US.
- Retain key talent in the FMD group/Pfizer and in collaboration with the I & I FMD Lead selection of new team members as needed.
- Develops and maintains a high functioning and performance culture for team.
- Develops and maintains working relationship with Human Resources to help manage colleagues and any performance issues.
- Manages performance appraisals, salary planning and promotions for FMD team.
- Ensures field medical directors generate and execute an individual development plan.
- Conduct supervisory 'field days' with each FMD on the team yearly.
Strategy and Business Planning:
- As member of the I & I FMD leadership team contributes to the development and execution of team medical plan that is aligned with the respective US Medical Affairs plans for in-line and late stage product strategies and objectives
- Contributes to the US strategic planning for the designated therapeutic area as member of the I & I FMD leadership team
- Be accountable forthe Medical Review Committee approval process within the designated therapeutic area and ensure timely approval of medical content for FMD use in accordance with Pfizer medical policies and SOPs
- May represent FMD on teams across Pfizer US, North America, or Global or across business units for Field Medical Governance as requested by I & I FMD Lead.
- Serve on FMD and/or cross-functional, cross divisional and cross business unit committees.
- Interact with investigators and other HCPs as appropriate in clinical and research activities.
- Stays current on FDA and other US regulations and guidance that impact interactions with and delivery of medical information to external healthcare professionals.
- Stays current on, anticipates, and adopts new digital technology, on-demand, and other related offerings that improve the efficiency of FMD medical communications activities and/or enhance the overall medical customer experience.
- Leads adaptation to changes in regional and national healthcare landscape (e.g. shift to complete or partial virtual HCP communication)
- Keeps updated on scientific and medical literature and developments within the designated therapeutic area.
- Stays current on all relevant Pfizer SOPs and guidance documents.
- Ensures team activities are conducted in compliance with both internal and external policies, guidelines and regulations. Ensure compliance of team members with required responsibilities, including completion of assigned SOPs by stated deadlines.
- Guides work prioritization and resource allocation within team.
- Authorizes expenditures related to travel, training, supplies and other miscellaneous team expenses.
- May be actively involved in budget planning process.
- Partners with administrative professional staff to ensure effective administrative professional staff support is provided to the Central FMD team.
- Ensure that communication and collaboration between HQ and field-medical and other medical and commercial functions are effective, appropriate and compliant, and that the medical professionalism of the I & I FMD function in the creation and implementation of its objectives and activities is maintained.
Education / Experience
- Doctoral degree (Ph.D, PharmD or DNP) with 10 or more years of relevant experience required. Expertise or experience in the designated therapeutic area is highly desirable.
- Previous Pfizer or other relevant management experience: either as a direct line manager, or significant demonstrated leadership skills in a matrix environment preferred;
- Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire field medical professionals around a compelling vision for success; embodying Pfizer Core Values of Equity, Courage, Joy, and Excellence
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and self-awareness skills.
- Demonstrated ability to rapidly adopt and utilize new digital technology and other resources with medical customers and record medical interactions (e.g. iPAD, OneMed, WEBEX, on-demand video-conferencing,)
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to motivate, develop and lead a team in a complex, changing environment and that is focused on generating a positive medical customer experience.
- Strong strategic, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Ability and interest to manage a diverse team of geographically dispersed professionals.
- Ability to work independently with show flexibility and organizational awareness and align with business priorities and strategies
- Must be decisive, exercise good judgment in decisions, organized and with the ability to prioritize a large workload.
- Ability to manage resources, programs and multiple projects.
- Ability and interest to build and lead a diverse team of geographically dispersed professionals across the US
- Ability to travel nationally within the US as needed for the business;
- Ability to anticipate and adapt to changes within short timeframes
- Ability to operate a Pfizer company car and regularly fly on airplanes (i.e. to do 'ride days' with FMDs; attend HCP/customer meetings; attend NYHQ meetings, etc.) required; must be within two-hour drive of a major airport; flexibility to travel 60-80% of time.
Other Job Details:
- Last Date to Apply for Job: November 20, 2020
- Additional Location Information: Selected candidate must reside within the identified territory
- Eligible for Relocation Package NO
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus YES
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.