Senior Associate – Science & Technology
Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. (NYSE:ARE), an S&P 500® urban office REIT, is the first and longest-tenured owner, operator, and developer uniquely focused on collaborative life science, technology and agtech campuses in AAA innovation cluster locations. Founded in 1994, Alexandria pioneered this niche and has since established a significant market presence in key locations, including Greater Boston, San Francisco, New York City, San Diego, Seattle, Maryland, and Research Triangle. Alexandria is known for its high-quality and diverse tenant base. Alexandria has a longstanding and proven track record of developing Class A properties clustered in urban life science, technology, and agtech campuses that provide its innovative tenants with highly dynamic and collaborative environments that enhance their ability to successfully recruit and retain world-class talent and inspire productivity, efficiency, creativity, and success. For more information, please visit www.are.com.
Alexandria’s Science and Technology Team supports the company by providing scientific and technical expertise to help guide Alexandria’s three major activities: Venture Capital Investment, Real Estate, and Thought Leadership.
Alexandria’s Venture Investment arm acts as the strategic venture capital group within Alexandria Real Estate Equities and helps discover and invest in innovative companies in life sciences, agtech and tech, with associated responsibilities including due diligence and in-depth reviews of potential investments, their areas of focus and respective competitive landscapes, and the strength and level of innovation of their technology platforms.
Real Estate activities include underwriting potential life science, and tech tenants, as well as monitoring of existing tenants through review of financials, scientific milestones, news and press releases, and meetings with management.
Lastly, Thought Leadership activities include preparing for and organizing efforts around the Alexandria Summit, a high-impact event that brings together leading experts and opinion leaders in fields in life sciences, tech, and healthcare to discuss current progress and challenges.
We are seeking a Senior Associate – Science & Technology in our San Francisco office. The position will support Alexandria’s Science & Technology team by providing additional research capabilities and expertise in the life science industry, as well as supporting due diligence and business development activities.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions, marital status, registered domestic partner status, family-care status, veteran status, military status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law or ordinance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct in-depth research (qualitative and quantitative) relevant to various disease and therapeutic areas, US healthcare and regulatory activities, and broader trends in the life science and technology industries that may impact the San Francisco Bay Area life science real estate
- Research, monitor, and analyze performance indicators for Alexandria’s San Francisco Bay Area tenants and potential tenants. Responsibilities include meeting with companies, ongoing evaluation of company clinical/commercial status, fundraising efforts, financial conditions, etc.
- Identify, conduct diligence, and co-lead investments in private life science companies in San Francisco Bay Area in collaboration with local Alexandria Venture Investments team
- Help manage and track San Francisco Bay Area investment portfolio
- Work closely with leaders of the Alexandria San Francisco office to help identify key tenants and potential tenants, growth opportunities, and ecosystem trends that may impact real estate
- Monitor and summarize relevant news and information coming out of major media sources, key industry conferences, company earnings calls, press releases SEC filings
- Create summary briefs, white papers and/or detailed reports on specific companies, industry trends and various other topics to support Alexandria’s venture investment activities and thought leadership programs, which often may need to be catered to audiences with varying levels of life science or technology expertise
- Manage and analyze large data sets on the life science industry including but not limited to venture capital funding, M&A activity, R&D funding and FDA approvals
- Business development and networking across the life science ecosystem
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a life science field is required. Master’s or PhD a plus
- Minimum 4-6 years’ prior work experience within the life science industry in translational research, clinical development, financial analysis or consulting capacity is preferred
- Solid understanding of life science concepts, including but not limited to chemistry and biology fundamentals, the drug development process, the US healthcare and regulatory landscape, and human disease
- Understanding of venture capital industry is required
- Strong research and analytical skills, and high attention to detail
- Strong financial experience is preferred
- Experience working with large data sets/data analytics using PowerBI, Tableau or other business intelligence software platforms is a plus
- Ability to work independently and effectively manage and organize multiple projects concurrently
- Must have excellent written communication skills with ability to create concise and impactful written reports, correspondence, and responses to requests from team members as well as executive level members within the Company