Scientist II/III- Protein Sciences
Are you ready to join our mission to fight rare diseases? Do you have a passion to help people have better quality of life? Come be part of the Codexis, Inc. team where every day we get to unlock the power of proteins®!
Codexis’s Biotherapeutics division uses our world-leading CodeEvolver® protein engineering platform to discover novel therapies for the treatment of genetic disorders and other debilitating disease. We engineer proteins with high efficacy and safety with the goal of delivering the therapeutic to patients as an enzyme replacement, mRNA, or gene therapy.
But we can’t do it without YOU!
We are rapidly growing, and we are presently seeking to expand our pipeline and diversify applications of our technology platform. To help us meet our goals, we are looking to hire a
Protein Scientist II/III to join our Biotherapeutics Lead Discovery team.
If any of the below describes you, we would love to meet you!
- Passionate about large-molecule drug discovery to improve the quality of life for patients with rare diseases.
- Experienced or interested in novel technologies for protein engineering and directed evolution.
- Excited about developing biochemical and biophysical assays and using extensive laboratory automation to characterize thousands of protein variants.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Leading a team of researchers focused on developing next-generation therapeutics for genetic disorders
- This position is predominantly lab-based and involves leading a small team of researchers responsible for developing and executing processes for research-scale and high-throughput expression and purification of recombinant proteins from mammalian and E. coli hosts to supply material to research teams for in vitro characterization and in vivo studies.
- Characterize purified proteins using analytical and biophysical techniques, including SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, ELISA, intact mass, size-exclusion chromatography, and melting temperature measurement.
- Support stability and pre-formulation studies on therapeutic protein variants.
- Collaborate with fermentation scientists to transfer research processes to scale-up.
- Interface with contract research organizations (CROs) to supplement internal capabilities.
- Supervise and mentor a team of researchers, and support continued hiring of additional team members.
- Maintain a safe and efficient workplace, follow safe lab practices, keep diligent records, and write reports and SOPs as needed.
To be successful in this role, your background and experience should include:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Structural Biology, Biophysics, or related field with 2-6 years of industry experience. Level of hiring will be based on the candidate’s experience and capabilities.
- Experience in protein purification in a Protein Sciences group or industry discovery research environment.
- Strong background in protein expression and purification from E. coli, HEK, and CHO systems.
- Familiarity with standard analytical techniques for characterizing recombinant proteins.
- Prior experience training, mentoring, or supervising research associates desired.
- Highly organized, attentive to detail, and able to work under tight timelines in a collaborative team setting.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
What can Codexis offer you? (besides an amazing and collaborative culture?)
- Full benefits your first day
- 100% match on 401k
- Generous flex time off
- Fitness reimbursement
- Free fitness classes
- Back up child/dependent care
- Commuter vouchers
- Much more!
NO AGENCIES OR THIRD PARTIES
Codexis is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status.