Sr. Scientist Biotherapeutics Lead Discovery
Are you ready to join our mission to fight rare diseases? Do you have a passion to help people have better quality of life? Come be part of the Codexis, Inc. team where every day we get to unlock the power of proteins®!
Codexis’s Biotherapeutics division uses our world-leading CodeEvolver® protein engineering platform to discover novel therapies for the treatment of genetic disorders and other debilitating disease. We engineer proteins with high efficacy and safety with the goal of delivering the therapeutic to patients as an enzyme replacement, mRNA, or gene therapy.
But we can’t do it without YOU!
We are rapidly growing, and we are presently seeking to expand our pipeline and diversify applications of our technology platform. To help us meet our goals, we are looking to hire a
Sr. Scientist to join our Biotherapeutics Lead Discovery team.
If any of the below describes you, we would love to meet you!
- Passionate about large-molecule drug discovery to improve the quality of life for patients with rare diseases.
- Experienced or interested in novel technologies for protein engineering and directed evolution.
- Excited about developing biochemical and biophysical assays and using extensive laboratory automation to characterize thousands of protein variants.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- This position includes both research leadership and wet-lab work. The candidate should expect to spend around 60-80% of their time in the lab.
- Design and execute directed evolution screening campaigns to improve protein properties, such as activity and stability in specific in vivo environments. This will involve development, optimization, and troubleshoot biochemical assays and adapting them for high-throughput (HTP) screening.
- Conduct HTP screening to assay thousands of protein variants, and express leads in E. coli to characterize their properties. This may include enzyme kinetics, biophysical characterization, cell-based assays, and stability profiling.
- Serve as project team lead for therapeutics programs. Coordinate team activities across functions, ensure timely deliverables, and communicate progress with leadership.
- Supervise and train an established team of research associates and Ph.D. scientists, and support continued hiring of additional team members.
- Maintain a safe and efficient workplace, follow safe lab practices, keep diligent records, and write reports and SOPs as needed.
To be successful in this role, your background and experience should include:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Structural Biology, Bioengineering, or related field with 5 or more years of industry experience. Level of hiring will be based on the candidate’s experience and capabilities.
- Strong background in protein biochemistry including extensive experience with assay development and optimization. Experience with enzyme kinetics desired.
- Experience managing a team of research associates and scientists.
- Prior experience in directed evolution, protein engineering, and high-throughput screening using laboratory automation is desired but not required.
- Highly organized, attentive to detail, and able to work under tight timelines in a collaborative team setting.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
What can Codexis offer you? (besides an amazing and collaborative culture?)
- Full benefits your first day
- 100% match on 401k
- Generous flex time off
- Fitness reimbursement
- Free fitness classes
- Back up child/dependent care
- Commuter vouchers
- Much more!
NO AGENCIES OR THIRD PARTIES
Codexis is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status.