Associate Director Translational Biology
Are you ready to join our mission to fight rare diseases? Do you have a passion to help people have better quality of life? Come be part of the Codexis, Inc. team where every day we get to unlock the power of proteins®!
Codexis’s Biotherapeutics division uses our world-leading CodeEvolver® protein engineering platform to discover novel therapies for the treatment of genetic disorders and other debilitating disease. We engineer proteins with high efficacy and safety with the goal of delivering the therapeutic to patients as an enzyme replacement, mRNA, or gene therapy.
But we can’t do it without YOU!
Codexis Biotherapeutics is rapidly growing, and we are presently seeking to expand our pipeline and diversify applications of our technology. To help us meet our goals, we are looking to hire an Associate Director to join our Biotherapeutics Translational Biology team.
If any of the below describes you, we would love to meet you!
- Passionate about large-molecule drug discovery to improve the quality of life for patients with rare diseases.
- Experienced or interested in novel technologies for protein engineering and directed evolution.
- Excited about developing biochemical and biophysical assays and using extensive laboratory automation to characterize thousands of protein variants.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Leading the translational biology aspects of the execution of Codexis’s gene therapy strategy.
- Active participation in the planning and execution of the BioTherapeutics strategy by building the cases for new targets for pursuit.
- Guiding the efforts in identifying, developing, and managing external collaborators (academic, industrial partners, and CROs) to support preclinical development programs.
- Seek out collaborations with CRO’s/KOL’s to develop animal models relevant to programs. Develop internally where possible.
- Play a key role in the design and execution of PK/PD and efficacy studies, with an enhanced familiarity and focus on AAV preclinical gene therapy models.
- Maintain a current understanding of the scientific literature related to rare diseases and gene therapy.
- Represent the Translational Biology group within project teams, with KOL’s, with potential partners, and at external meetings, such as conferences and symposia.
- Excellent and effective oral and written communication with Codexis R&D, senior leadership, and external collaborators.
- Mentor and support team members within BioTherapeutics with a view to enhancing gene therapy capabilities.
To be successful in this role, your background and experience should include:
- PhD in Biology, Pharmacology, or related field with 10+ years of experience in gene therapy. Clinical experience is a plus.
- Project/people leadership experience including managing cross-functional teams and direct reports.
- Experience in enzyme- or protein-replacement therapy drug discovery including disease biology, in vitro and in vivo pharmacology, preclinical models, and translational biomarkers.
- Able to work independently under tight timelines in a collaborative team setting.
- Demonstrated ability to identify, prioritize and resolve key project challenges.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and excellence in effectively managing multiple projects/priorities in parallel.
- Successful track record of leading, managing, and mentoring with experience working in a matrixed environment and cross functional teams.
- Excellent and efficient communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Excellent interpersonal skills in order to interact with potential strategic partners.
- An excellent scientific background in rare genetic disorders and/or metabolic diseases as demonstrated through publications in top peer-reviewed journals.
- Successful track record of working with consultants, academic collaborations, and CROs.
What can Codexis offer you? (besides an amazing and collaborative culture?)
- Full benefits on your first day
- 100% match on 401k (up to 4%)
- Generous flex time off
- Fitness reimbursement
- Free fitness classes
- Back up child/dependent care
- Commuter vouchers
- Much more!
NO AGENCIES OR THIRD PARTIES
Codexis is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status.