Global Leader - ED&I
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
Our focus on Equality, Diversity & Inclusion enables us to continue growing
With a focus on recruiting, developing, retaining and performing, our Equality, Diversity & Inclusion strategy enables us to raise the bar and continue growing. It includes:
- Driving Awareness & Understanding
- Instilling an inclusive mindset in all leaders and employees
- Attracting & Sourcing Talent
- Proactively finding and engaging top talent
- Developing & Engaging Talent
- Creating opportunities for talent to thrive
- Creating Connections & Community
- Bringing people together to promote inclusion
Global Equity Strategist and Outcomes
Global diversity, like domestic diversity, offers rich opportunities for company growth through an increased talent pool, wider consumer base, and additional revenue streams. Yet, global diversity and inclusion initiatives face particularly challenging aspects, such as geographical distance, different time zones, virtual relationships, language barriers, and distinctive cultural values, actions, and assumptions. Success in global markets will require more than boutique multicultural initiatives. Competing on a multinational playing field will require a sustained effort to integrate distinct cultural and more inclusive values into a newer and broader vision for company growth and advancement.
The Global Equity Strategist will be a seasoned executive with tremendous drive, intelligence and capability. She/he will be highly motivated and have the ability and desire to have real impact across the organization and in the communities where we work and serve. The successful candidate will be a multi-dimensional thinker who operates not only on the basis of important past approaches, but in light of new approaches and developments that occur in the global market.
The Global Equity Strategist will:
- Demonstrated experience articulating a vision, translating it into executable strategy and driving cross-functional teams to deliver against the plan
- Serve as counsel, executive coach and sounding board for executive and senior leaders and board members and as an internal center of excellence for the enterprise
- Experience in translating external and internal trends into innovative practices
- Proven track record of facilitating company-level initiatives with multiple stakeholders
- Provide thought leadership to the organization
- Work closely with key company stakeholder - Business Leaders, Communications, Corporate Affairs, Talent Acquisition, Talent Management, HR, and D&I to develop a narrative and key programs that will make a more inclusive culture and company
- Advise HR and leaders to embed Equity, Diversity and Inclusion into all people and business processes, ensuring global alignment while tailoring for regional needs
- Establish or advise the global D&B Leadership Council with refreshed priorities and structure for their mandate and responsibilities. Lead governance process and provide support to the global D&B Leadership Council to ensure strategic alignment and tracking of key initiatives
- Guiding and directing D&I resources, including corporate investments, and key initiatives in alignment with and in support of achieving business goals
- Serving alongside as the corporate D&I thought leader to national, regional and local media audiences as well as representing the company at industry and community related events
- Developing strategic relationships and partnerships with service providers and local, regional, national and global organizations that can advance the strategic interests of the enterprise
- Conduct research, analysis and benchmarking across other organizations to provide insight on developing a globally inclusive workforce that respects diversity at all levels
- Support D&I to ensure that Abbvie has a strong marketplace image, profile and reputation as an employer of choice that values diversity in its broadest sense and practices inclusion to drive business results
- A deep understanding of how to promote diversity, equity and inclusion within a large, complex, multi-national organization
- Experience reaching beyond the company into the communities where we work and serve around the world
- Experience in senior business partnering and advisory roles; ability to build collaborative, business-focused relationships with LT and senior HR and business leaders
- Strong consulting skills to the DEI team, the company and to the communities in which we serve
- Strong project planning, management and review, with an ability to roll up his/her sleeves to demonstrate initiative and results-orientation, with a focus on service delivery
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and presentation skills
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills
- An energetic, proactive, resourceful and self-motivated approach to their work
Innovation and Vision
- Understands the unique opportunity of moving AbbVie beyond diversity and inclusion to equity and social justice. Leads and supports the effort to create a better, more socially just and equitable world.
- Knows the business and the mission-critical technical, functional and influential skills needed to do the job; understands various types of business propositions and understands how businesses operate in general; learns new methods and technologies easily.
- Understands and can facilitate and influence the change process through completion. Gains leadership involvement and business and functional ownership. Identifies and deploys appropriate strategies and levers aligned with the needs and expectations at each level of the organization. Aligns change activities to organizational, professional and personal motivators.
Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Cross-cultural Agility
- Understands multiple cultural frameworks, values and norms. Demonstrates the ability to flex styles when faced with a range of dimensions of culture in order to be effective and influence behaviors and outcomes across multiple cultural boundaries. Understands the dynamics of cross-cultural and inclusion-related conflicts, tensions, misunderstandings, or opportunities. Knows and applies best practices in equity, diversity and inclusion practices, strategies, systems, policies, etc. Is a role model for inclusive and culturally competent behavior.
Keeping on Point
- Can quickly separate the mission-critical from the nice to dos and the trivial; quickly senses what's the next most useful thing to work on; focuses on the critical few tasks that really add value and puts aside or delays the rest.
Getting Work Done Through Others
- Manages people well; gets the most and best out of the people he/she has; sets and communicates guiding goals; measures accomplishments, holds people accountable, and gives useful feedback; delegates and develops; keeps people informed; provides coaching for today and for the future.
Being Organizationally Savvy
- Maneuvers well to get things done; maze bright; knows where to go to get what he/she needs; politically aware and agile; knows the right thing to do; presents views and arguments well. Facilitates and manages complex and sensitive matters.
Managing Diverse Relationships Internally and Externally
- Relates well to a wide variety of diverse styles, types, and classes; open to differences; effective up, down, sideways, inside, and outside; builds diverse networks; quick to find common ground; treats differences fairly and equitably; treats everyone as a preferred colleague. Builds connections and relationships in the communities we work and serve around the world.
- Is skilled at getting individuals, teams, and an entire organization to perform at a higher level and to embrace change; negotiates skillfully to achieve a fair outcome or promote a common cause; communicates a compelling vision and is committed to what needs to be done; inspires others; builds motivated, high-performing teams; understands what motivates different people.
Significant Work Activities
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.