Are you ready to join our mission to enhance protein optimization and production? Do you have a passion for applying innovative technology to create novel products? Come be part of the Codexis, Inc team where every day we get to unlock the power of proteins®!
Since 2002, Codexis’ scientists and bioinformatics experts have worked collaboratively with our clients to do just that, enabling breakthrough developments for applications across multiple industries! As Codexis expands its footprint we are in constant need to find new ways to diversify applications of our CodeEvolverTM protein engineering platform.
But we can’t do it without YOU!
To help us reach our goals we are looking to hire a Patent Attorney to join our Legal team. We are looking for an individual with a solid foundation in chemistry, biochemistry, medicinal chemistry, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, bioinformatics, or translational biology, to join our team. The successful candidate will be part of a dynamic and enthusiastic team responsible for protecting Codexis' intellectual property and will report to the Chief Patent Counsel/AVP of IP.
If any of the below describes you, we would love to meet you!
- Knowledgeable and excited about science
- Protecting intellectual property
- Making an impact with a growing organization
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Reviewing and analyzing invention disclosure statements.
- Working closely with inventors to draft, file and prosecute quality patent applications.
- Drafting and prosecuting US patents.
- Assisting and instructing foreign patent associates.
- Assisting in the development and strategic management of Codexis’ worldwide patent portfolio.
- Assisting with landscape, freedom to operate, patentability, and other analyses.
- Assisting with patent enforcement and challenge proceedings.
- Assisting with contract drafting and negotiations.
- Assisting with contract and collaborator/customer management.
- Assisting in other legal areas (e.g., transactional, regulatory, etc.), as needed.
To be successful in this role, your background and experience should include:
- J.D. from an accredited law school and a member in good standing of the California bar or in-house corporate counsel status in California is required.
- Also required is a Ph.D. or postdoctoral emphasis in molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, chemistry, biochemistry, medicinal chemistry, translational biology, or closely related fields; exceptional M.S. candidates with at least 8 years of industry experience will be considered.
- Candidate must demonstrate a strong scientific background in the biological sciences, including a good understanding of chemistry, biochemistry, medicinal chemistry, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, and bioinformatics.
- USPTO registration required.
- Experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications is a plus.
- Outstanding writing skills, preferably demonstrated by original writing samples of patent applications, prosecution submissions, and/or other patent-related communications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to transfer inventive scientific concepts into quality patent applications.
- Familiarity with Sequence Listings is a plus.
- Experience working with foreign associates to assist and coordinate filing and prosecution of international patent properties.
- Familiarity with patent docketing, patent searching, chemistry-related and other databases is a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, sharp attention to detail, and ability to prioritize projects.
- Positive and collaborative attitude.
- A team player that is comfortable collaborating with many individuals across the company, yet is also able to work autonomously as appropriate.
What can Codexis offer you? (besides an amazing and collaborative culture?)
- Full benefits on your first day
- 100% match on 401k (up to 4%)
- Generous flex time off
- Fitness reimbursement
- Free fitness classes
- Back up child/dependent care
- Commuter vouchers
- Much more!
NO AGENCIES OR THIRD PARTIES
Codexis is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital & veteran status.