Director Drug Discovery
This is an exciting time to join A2 Biotherapeutics! We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our team in Southern California (Agoura Hills) and work together to extend the reach of cell therapy. A2 is engineering cell therapies to selectively kill cancer cells by exploiting the loss of genetic material in solid tumors. If you are passionate about joining a collaborative team to discover and develop novel and innovative engineered T cell therapies for cancer. . . Apply today!
The successful candidate will contribute directly to the discovery and advancement of therapeutic candidates through strategic and operational deliverables and the management, people development and oversight of key outputs of a high performing team. The Director will be focused on developing and implementing new drug discovery strategies across the company and will lead a team focused on furthering A2’s exciting scientific portfolio. The ideal candidate will be an energetic and diligent scientist with a deep understanding of cellular or large molecule drug discovery, experience leading project teams and a strong publication record.
At A2, our mission is to tackle the next frontier in cancer treatment: solid tumors. Our team is dedicated to pushing the boundaries of science to transform medicine and turn the tide on serious illness. Central to achieving this mission is our focus on recruiting the best talent and building an environment that enables our team to do the best work of their careers and make an impact on patients and society at large.
- Identify new targets and propose new therapeutic approaches
- Lead and manage teams and projects from target identification and validation to development of therapeutic candidates
- Work with leaders cross-functionally, to establish key milestones for the execution of project deliverables
- Oversee the screening and selection of candidate therapeutics for advancement to clinical development, tracking progress, milestones and ensuring timely delivery
- Leverage expertise to build program leadership skills across the team and build and maintain positive working relationships with key stakeholders, team members and vendors
- Communicate regularly with team members, senior leaders, scientific advisory board members and key stakeholders on assigned programs’ progress, critical issues, risks, needs and opportunities
- Establish new technology platforms with an eye toward the long-term success of the company
- PhD and relevant scientific experience in cell or molecular biology, biochemistry, oncology, immunology or related fields
- 10+ years of industry experience focusing on biotherapeutics or cell therapy discovery
- Track record of leading programs from discovery toward clinical development
- Knowledge of T cell biology, CAR-T or TCR-T cell therapy development, including establishing and validating complex cell-based functional assays, is a plus
- Passion to work in a demanding, dynamic, fast-paced, and detail-oriented environment
- Sound judgment and demonstrated ability to lead, mentor and manage others, even if not direct reports
- Ability to understand complex data and effectively trouble-shoot and solve problems
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
At A2 we believe in investing in our team. Our benefits are just one of the many ways we strive to help our employees take care of themselves and their families. We offer a variety of programs, from comprehensive medical insurance to generous time off policies designed to help meet the needs of our diverse team.
- Competitive base salary and annual incentive opportunities
- Equity participation
- Comprehensive health and welfare benefits (including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and accident insurance)
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Paid time off and holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- Environment where professional development is actively encouraged and supported