Job Title: Automation Scientist
Requisition ID: 118065BR
When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.
Location/Division Specific Information
St Louis, MO | BioProduction Division
How will you make an impact?
* Will be a member of the Bioprocessing Collaboration Center (BCC). The Automation Scientist is responsible for providing advanced level expertise to automation projects including feasibility & concept studies, capital facility buildouts and equipment purchases, automation development and implementation plans, process improvements.
* The Data Process Scientist role is responsible for the data processing support of automation projects associated with new installations, including but not limited to start-up, commissioning, mechanical/electrical installation and analytical / automation support to existing and new equipment in the development area.
What will you do?* Define and create models for individual process units, including cell culture and purification operations.
* Work with local manufacturing sciences teams to provide training on the usage and representation of the automation being developed with in the BCC. Experience in multivariate modeling methods a plus.
* Develop tools to support process monitoring, scientific process support, root cause analysis, transition analysis in support of chromatography columns, and projects to improve processing time, productivity, product quality, and a better customer experience.
* Troubleshoot process equipment by diagnosing and resolving difficult hardware, software, instrument, and process problems to maintain system readiness.
* Provide technical leadership to improve and enhance process equipment and support automation updates and support of processing equipment
* Works closely with BCC scientists and automation engineer to ensure that automation systems are appropriately designed for implementation.
* Oversee the development of and design, implementation, and maintenance for the real time GMP manufacturing process monitoring programs (e.g. SIMCA) for the development team.
* Have the expertise to identify potential improvement projects utilizing advanced analytics and process knowledge (PAT, QBD, etc). Working in commercial manufacturing facility and GxP experience is preferred.
* In collaboration with our automation team develop real-time multivariate and predictive analytics platforms in support of new automation platforms for use in clinical and commercial manufacturing unit operations.
How will you get here?
Education* BA or BS in Life Sciences / Engineering or related field with 6 - 8 years or a MS with 4-6 years of applicable process automation, process analytics, technical support, or process/facility design experience.
Experience * A background in Biologics focused on cell culture and or purification support is preferred. Prior experience with, Statistics, Bioinformatics or a related discipline is preferred.
* Experience in computer control automation system start-ups, loop tuning, troubleshooting, and control system modifications.
* Experience with control platforms like; Rockwell, AB PLCs, DeltaV, associated IO and communication protocols.
* Experienced in an FDA regulated environment. Working knowledge of cGMP, OSHA regulations.
* Understanding typical business / quality IT systems and manufacturing automation systems (ERP, LIMS, QMS, etc).
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities* Global travel expectations up to 20% within multiple sites for Thermo Fisher Scientific.
* Troubleshoot PLC ladder logic, IO networks, control computers and associated control components.
* Experience preferred in the following areas : historian/data collection systems and data analysis/reporting applications such as SIMCA, PI Historian, PI Process Book, Excel, JMP and Statistica
* Technical knowledge of major unit operations associated with biologics manufacturing such as cell culture and protein purification
* Experience with bio-manufacturing technologies and automation.
* Design or operational experience with large-scale cell culture and protein purification for both clinical and commercial processes
* Experience with systems such as OSI PI, Infobatch and Syncade, Pharmasuite installation and support is a plus.
* Distributed control systems, PI historian, Statistica, LIMS, JMP and other multivariate process analytical tools.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.
Thermo Fisher Scientific is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.