Associate Director, R&D Development Sciences
Working at Horizon is more than a job - it's personal. For us, success is measured by the numbers that matter most - the number of lives we touch, the number we change and those we work tirelessly to help save. We're a team of agile, out-of-the-box thinkers who are inspired to do more because we know we're a part of something bigger. We strive to build meaningful careers at a company whose values we share because when we live up to our potential, we help others live up to theirs.
- Provides scientific oversight on the design, execution and interpretation of studies in preclinical R&D programs, including external/internal collaborations, to understand disease biology, mechanism of action, and allowing strategic program and portfolio decisions. Scientific expert who contributes to responses to questions from regulatory agencies.
- Involved in independent planning of experimental design and execution of all aspects of preclinical R&D including, in vitro assays, cell-based assay, in vivo and ex vivo models of disease.
- Responsible for analyzing and interpreting data from preclinical studies
- Provides oversight and works closely with collaborators and CROs in study protocol/report review, troubleshoot assay problems, method transfer, compound and biological sample shipment and storage
- Participates in multidisciplinary, bioanalytical, regulatory and clinical team settings to advance programs
- Projects company leadership in R&D by interacting with industry opinion leaders. Leads efforts to generate and interpret data and communicate results internally and externally
- Builds strong relationships and networks externally as well as internally with therapeutic area leaders, facilitating strategic alignment and collaborations with partners
- Maintain awareness and and communicates scientific trends/literature that could affect the direction of a therapeutic area/technology. Provides a long-term perspective on the direction of the therapeutic area/technology
- Maintains accurate and complete safety records consistent with company policy and legal requirements. Recognizes potential safety problems and acts to rectify them
- Creative problem-solving skills
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- PhD or equivalent experience in Biology/Molecular Biology/Biochemistry or related field
- 10+ years in the biopharmaceutical industry
- 5+ years managing CROs
- Disease expertise in immunology related field is highly desirable.
- Specific expertise in preclinical R&D, in vivo and ex vivo model systems. Hands-on experience with in vitro, ex vivo, in vivo, cell culture, and bioassays are highly desirable
- Demonstrated experience leading R&D strategies and execution
- Knowledge of assay development and validation
- Authoring reports/presentations/communication bullet points
- Experience within a fast pace small biotech environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and other relevant programs (ie Graph Pad Prism)
- Professional demeanor
- Self-starter attitude
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Horizon Core Values & Competencies:
- Manages Ambiguity
- Strategic Mindset
- Demonstrates Self-awareness
- Cultivates Innovation
- Develops Talent
- Drives Results
- Ensures Accountability
- Decision Quality
- Instills Trust
Horizon Therapeutics plc does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. It is our intention that all qualified applications are given equal opportunity and that selection decisions be based on job-related factors. Any individual, who, because of a disability, needs accommodation or assistance in completing this application or at any time during the application process, should contact the Human Resources Department.