Senior Research Associate, Flow Cytometry
At Lyell, our vision is to develop curative cell-based immunotherapies for solid tumor cancers. We have innovative science originating from our founder’s world class labs and a unique and disruptive approach to research and development. Our company is first and foremost focused on understanding the science. We are a learning organization, dependent on deep collaborative relationships between all of our colleagues, partners and founders. Our culture is based on Respect, Science, Courage and Collaboration and it reflects who we are and the environment we are creating.
Position Summary: We are seeking a hardworking, enthusiastic Senior Research Associate in the T cell Stemness Group at Lyell. The ideal candidate will have experience setting up in vitro cell-based functional assays to measure CAR T and TCR cell cytotoxicity, cytokine release, and proliferation as well as experience with in vivo tumor models. Experience with flow cytometry is required. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to carry out independent and cross-functional teamwork, demonstrate creativity and apply critical thinking, help develop new SOPs, and generate reproducible, high quality data to inform development of Lyell’s next generation solid tumor CAR T and TCR cell therapy platforms.
- Assist with daily calibration, and maintenance (daily, weekly, monthly) of flow cytometers and cell sorters
- Cross-department collaboration in the design, execution, and analysis of flow cytometry assays
- Assay development of novel or improvement of existing flow cytometry panels
- Assist in the evaluation of new instrumentation and technologies
- Maintain and organize schedules for cell sorting and cell analysis. Implement usage tracking dashboards and metrics.
- Draft standard operating procedures and quality standards in flow cytometry
- Onboarding and training of new users to the flow cytometry core and provide instrumentation support to users from all departments
- Maintain inventory of flow cytometry reagents and supplies
- Other duties as assigned
- At least 2 years of experience operating various cell sorters
- At least 3 years of experience in developing flow cytometry methods, including multi-parameter panel design (>10 color preferred)
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of flow cytometry instruments and methods
- Ability to design and execute standardized laboratory procedures Excellent skill in data analysis using flow cytometry software
- Excellent skill in data analysis using flow cytometry software
- BSc in biotechnology, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, oncology or related field with a minimum of 7 years’ experience within the area of focus; or
- MSc in biotechnology, molecular biology, microbiology, immunology, oncology or related field with a minimum of 5 years’ experience within the area of focus;
Preferred Additional Skills
- Self-motivated, ambitious teammate who is comfortable in a fast-paced company environment with minimal direction and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities
- Ability to think critically and demonstrate troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively among cross-functional teams
- Ability to work efficiently, prioritize workflow, meet deadlines and balance competing priorities
- Excellent analytical skills and scientific/technical expertise
At Lyell, we believe that highest performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who respectfully challenge each other. We are committed to building an open, diverse and inclusive culture for all employees.
Lyell is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws.
We’ve learned from experience that some of the best people don’t always match our requirements perfectly - if you’re interested and think you could fit, please don’t hesitate to apply.