VP of Intellectual Property
Lead the intellectual property function of the company, including counselling management on IP matters, overseeing and reviewing preparation and prosecution of patent applications, IP risk assessment and management, reviewing IP-related provisions of corporate contracts, and staff IP education.
Intellectual property strategic guidance and counsel
- Propose and implement IP strategy in line with Company's business strategy and to ensure Company dominant IP position for the long term
- Propose and manage in-licensing strategy to ensure Company dominant IP position for the long term
- Provide high level, independent support for due diligence, strategic collaborations, licensing agreements and other business contracting needs
- Provide opinion and recommendation to management on IP strategy and related activities
- Managing patents claims and filling strategy to unsure best strength, scope and position of patent portfolio to ensure long-term competitive advantage
- Oversee and review of patent preparation and prosecution to maximize value of portfolio
- Maintain positive relationships with external counsel and experts.
- Recommend and help implement IP strategies for R&D project teams
- Educate and advise senior management & scientists on important IP issues and advance IP/patent awareness.
Management and reporting of all intellectual property functions
- Manage all IP related function and team
- Build, manage and monitor IP functions and activities budget
- Contribute to Company Board reporting and take part of Board meeting
- Report and communicate internally IP activities on a regular basis
IP risk monitoring, litigation and associated strategy
- Manage and support outside counsel in IP disputes, litigation, IPRs, PGRs and oppositions, including formulating appropriate IP litigation strategies
- Develop a thorough understanding of DNA Script‘s current and planned business activities, programs, competitors, and markets and keep abreast of developing legal trends, laws and regulations.
- Review publications, presentations, press releases and other materials for clearance.
- Conduct or supervise freedom-to-operate, non-infringement, and competitive landscape analyses in key technology areas and product development
Qualifications and experience
- JD, registered patent attorney
- 12+ years of relevant IP experience in the life-science industry, including significant in-house experience.
- An advanced degree in Molecular Biology, Bioengineering, Molecular Genetics, Synthetic Biology, Microbiology, or a related biotechnology-relevant discipline or an advanced degree in Organic Chemistry, Nucleic Acid Chemistry or related biochemistry-relevant discipline.
- Direct experience in biologic patents and life-science tool product and product development
- Experience in managing, organizing or taking part in IP committee or relevant processes
- Possess working knowledge of transactional, commercial, and intellectual property law
- Experience in Board reporting and Board meeting preparation and participation
- Can handle large volume of work on a prioritized basis
- Exceptional attention for detail and accuracy abilities.
- Strong interactive skills and collaborative attitude to work effectively in a team environment
- Excellent organizational, project management and problem-solving skills with the ability to ensure to stay in budget and time while communicating clearly to the rest of the management team.
- Highest levels of personal honesty, integrity and commitment.
- Experience in the field of DNA technology, such as DNA synthesis or DNA sequencing
- Start-up/small biotechnology company experience
- International experience with or for non-US firms
- Job located in South San Francisco (Bay area)
- Start date: ASAP
firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com