AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
The Convention Manager is responsible for providing strategic collaboration and stewardship to marketing stakeholders within the US Commercial Conventions space. Reporting through the Associate Director of Conventions, within the broader Customer Experience team, the selected candidate will work in partnership with brand marketing and agencies to strategize, plan, produce, and oversee execution of marketing and communications planned activities, including media, promotions, printed materials and digital marketing assets (e.g. social, web, apps, etc.).
Focusing on new and unique ways to attract, engage, and nurture target audience and enhancing the customer's experience. Works closely with the Associate Director in strategizing on vendor sourcing and vendor management in conjunction with enterprise initiatives. Collaborate with purchasing to solicit or bid new proposals for existing vendors that upholds AbbVie's standards and bears any budgetary constraints.
Be flexible to independently manage large scale initiatives and develop positive working relationships in a matrix environment. Excellent communication and problem-solving skills, with strong project management aptitude and ability to analyze and resolve tasks in a timely manner are fundamental to success in this role.
Strategy & Planning - strategically plan in some of the following ways:
- Pull brand strategy through in convention tactics, establishing measurements of effectiveness, by promoting new and unique ways to attract, engage and nurture target audience
- Partner with brand teams in the development and pull-through of a differentiated, and insights-driven customer experience, utilizing post show analytics to assess success and adjust strategy for future events
- Uncover opportunities to incorporate technology and innovation within booth or virtual experiences, which would support enterprise related initiatives that drives improvements in broader customer experience endeavors
- Assist in analyzing vendor contracts and strategize ways to enhance the overall relationship and discover cost-saving opportunities
Management & Execution - tactically plan in some of the following ways:
- Overall project/program management from start to finish for each convention, by managing and anticipating any budget developments, along with coordinating sponsorships, virtual platform discussions and/or housing with the associations
- Collaborate with Marketing leads, Finance, Customer Experience, Medical, OEC, Regulatory, Media, Public Affairs, and Marketing Ops fostering deep and continuous cross functional partnerships
- Consult brand teams in the convention space, bringing in-house and vendor/agency expertise together to strategize in achieving brand goals and objectives
- Conduct status updates with vendors and/or partners to monitor spend, including invoices and POs; looking for opportunities to streamline processes where appropriate
Bachelor's degree in Business or Marketing with 5+ years of related experience, preferably in healthcare/pharmaceutical arena, or other highly regulated industry. With emphasis in marketing operations, promotional review, or digital marketing experience.
- Experience in developing and aligning to marketing strategies and identifying new areas of growth through events
- Forward thinker able to pre-empt challenges, having a problem-solving approach
- Must have excellent peer-to-peer communication skills
- Effectively manage conflict, diffuse situations, and lead positive change
- Must be able to determine and effectively communicate a trade show's goals, purpose, message and impression and provide input to internal clients
- Aptitude to manage multiple projects and vendors simultaneously with high attention to detail and adherence to departmental process in a fast-paced matrix environment
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Ability to multi-task and oversee several conventions, vendors, and internal constituents at one time, face many deadlines and coordinate activities of different groups of individuals
- Attend convention industry events to keep up on new offerings in the marketplace
- Must be able to negotiate and influence change with vendors, agencies, and associations
- Familiarity with PhRMA, CFR, Sunshine Act, and global pharmaceutical requirements a plus
- Ability to work and lead independently without day to day supervision
- Strong business acumen with effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management skills
- Microsoft software fluency including Office 365, and the ability to learn new programs specific to the conventions/digital industries
- Inquisitive with strong analytical skills, including the ability to infer and apply learnings
- Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams and influence without direct authority to ensure deliverables and deadlines are met
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and innovation and experimentation for improvement
- Candidates for this position must be willing and anticipate long workdays during conventions.
- Work hours may be long and irregular, especially in the time leading up to a convention and/or at the convention
- Travel approx. 30% - 35% domestic, depending on show schedule - includes weekends
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 25 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.