Associate Director - Commercial Contracting
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
Commercial MA Pricing, Associate Director, Market Access RAM Team
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION:
The Commercial Market Access Pricing Organization is responsible for the execution and management of the commercial agreements with U.S. Private Payers for the entirety of AbbVie's branded product portfolio. These Commercial Contracts exceed $35Bn in gross sales and manage over $10Bn in Gross to Net Rebate processing. The Operations Director leads the contract management of one of the Big Three Pharmaceutical Benefits Manager customers for the portfolio and the corresponding operational processes associated with these relationships.
Primary responsibilities include supporting the strategic objectives of the Market Access organization by facilitating the creation, maintenance, and management of the commercial contracting process, consistent with established pricing policies/procedures. This position is also responsible for managing the analysis, invoicing validation, corresponding dispute resolution, and payment of rebate claims within contracted timelines.
The incumbent is responsible for identifying, establishing, developing, and implementing appropriate processes to maintain compliance for AbbVie US with all state and federal government laws and regulations.
CORE JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Provide management oversight and coordinate pricing decisions associated with RAM Account representing over $3.5B in annual gross sales and over $0.5B in annual rebates.
- Develop the pricing and contracting strategies in conjunction with each Franchise and the Market Access team for all products and commercial customer channels. Executing contracts consistent with AbbVie US business goals and objectives.
- Financial support for LRP, Plan, LBE processes, including validation of projected rebate liabilities, payer/client mix shift, balance sheet analytics, and actual to benchmark variance analysis. Pressure test and provide input to forecast assumptions based on knowledge of market, competitive dynamics, and upcoming events.
- Maintain adherence to Pricing/Legal Policies via the RELAY process, coordinate development of the executive summary of proposed offers and participate in Pricing Committee Governance meetings.
- Oversee the contracting authoring process and the development of contract terms/offer decks, including consultation with Legal and Market Access Marketing to ensure term expectations are within acceptable legal parameters and avoid undo risk or exposure. Facilitate contract language negotiations based on direct communications with external business partners and execute final contract
- Ensure cross functional team effectiveness across Payer Analytics, Legal, Market Access Marketing, Market Access Sales and Pricing Accounting.
- Develop, implement, and maintain numerous automated solutions to ensure financial accuracy and process validation for the entire commercial portfolio.
Manage staff of three direct reports and provide operational leadership and cross-functional business support in a highly matrixed RAM organization of peers at director levels or higher.
LEADERSHIP/MANAGEMENT/ABBVIE WAYS OF WORKING
- Manage the coordination and preparation of contract documents to provide total inclusion of all negotiated terms and conditions consistent with good business practices; (i) ensuring that contract terms are consistent with established guidelines; (ii) ensuring that contract terms are consistent with Medicaid Best Price strategies; (iii) ensuring that all contracts have had appropriate level of review with management, OEC and legal prior to issuing to account when required.
- Ability to direct insight discovery and articulation (ie: Trx Journey, Trx Financial Journey), as well as business analytics, measurement and informing forecasting assumptions
- Coach and teach others how to translate complicated information into compelling stories and learning's.
- Establish a positive and productive work environment, creating trust and respect within function and the business.
- Build effective teams with complementary strengths and demonstrate ability to inspire and motivate.
- Anticipate future hiring needs and plan-ahead to train existing team members and recruit new talent.
- Proactively manage mix of key team personnel and advocate for key resources as needed to meet business objectives.
UNDERSTAND BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT
- Possess strong understanding of the broad healthcare environment and specific therapeutic areas to identify and proactively address opportunities and threats.
- Understand the healthcare business environment and pricing leverage: payor and managed care markets, pharmaceutical distribution channels and the vertically integrated aspects of external customers/business relationships. Understanding of the potential exposure to duplicate discounting.
- Be on top of relevant trends, identify and champion opportunities with action plans to senior management. Includes working across Therapeutic Areas to provide a common perspective on Market and competitive dynamics in areas with common indications/market access strategies.
- Assist with analysis and evaluation of Market Access contracts, including analysis of utilization and market share data for rebate agreements and purchase data for discount contracts
- Create a strategic partnership with all KAM Members and identify and fill knowledge gaps for matrixed KAM team leadership in an integrated manner.
- Effective decision making for both strategic and operational decisions, balancing the near and long-term goals.
- BA/BS in Finance or Accounting. MBA/CPA preferred
- 10+ years of progressive Accounting/Finance.
The candidate must also possess the following skill sets:
- Function independently and provide the leadership required to negotiate change/compromise to drive the business forward to reach the intended goals
- The ability to interact with and support senior level management and to partner effectively and independently in a matrix organization.
- Strong organizational, analytical, problem solving, planning and decision-making skills.
- Extensive interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills including a comfort level with presenting to various levels of executive management.
- The ability to manage and coordinate multiple activities and due dates, and shifting priorities, under tight timeframes.
- A highly motivated self-starter who can translate broad directions into high quality analytical output.
- Prior supervisory experience is required.
- Planning and forecasting experience preferred.
- Knowledge of TM1, Model N, COGNOS, Qlikview preferred.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.